Don't Miss Our Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Review!

Discussion in 'Processors' started by Rob Williams, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    It seems like we've been waiting a while for it, but wait no more! Gulftown is here, and that means six cores, "sick scores" and some incredible performance. As always, we have our in-depth review posted to the top of our front page, and we highly recommend you check it out even if you're not interested in spending $999 on a new processor, because it's just cool technology.

[​IMG]

You can read the rest of our post here.

2. Optix

Optix Basket Chassis Staff Member

Dec 15, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    /drool

Way too pricey. I'll stick with my cheap-o CPU's but that's a sweet chip and I'm sure it will be a great article.

3. crowTrobot

crowTrobot E.M.I.

Feb 8, 2010
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    It's actually the best value for an extreme processor I've seen so far being the same price as the previous 2 extreme i7 processors. Especially considering AMD is a generation behind and even their upcoming hex-core release won't likely even come close to this one in performance.

4. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    To be honest, this is the first time when I've ever considered a $999 CPU to be "worth it". The fact is, this is the only way you can get a six-core CPU from Intel for a good while, and the performance is just stellar. Then there's the CPU cooler that comes included, which is actually very good. I am probably going to toss the Gulftown in this machine until the next time I need to bench with it. Sounds like the perfect chip for juggling virtual machines!

5. Doomsday

Doomsday Tech Junkie

Nov 24, 2008
    KHI, PAK
    its freakin' awesome! i'll sell my car for this! lol, just joking!

6. slugbug

slugbug Coastermaker

Mar 1, 2007
    Canada
    It's cheaper than past Extreme Edition processors that's for sure. And finally they give you a proper cooler with a back plate to use, instead of those stupid push pins.

7. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    Exactly. I can honestly say that the cooler Intel includes here is a true tank. It's easily the most sturdy of any cooler I've ever installed.