Does Steam Eat Games?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
As a devout PC gamer, I've come to love Valve's Steam platform over the years. The main reason is one I could sum up simply as "ultimate convenience". About 90% of the games I play in a given year are available on Steam, and because of that, I simply couldn't imagine using another solution. Once you're spoiled with that kind of convenience, it's hard to look elsewhere.

steam_021111.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
never had THAT problem, but I have had "this game is not available now, please try again later" on an OFFLINE GAME. I'm like WHAT THE HECK??? It's on my freaking computer how is it not available?!?!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Nom, nom, nom!

Nothing like that here, but then again my Steam account is a light weight compared to Rob's.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm a heavy Steam user and never experienced that issue before. I've experienced corrupted game files in the past but the verification fixed those easily enough.

never had THAT problem, but I have had "this game is not available now, please try again later" on an OFFLINE GAME. I'm like WHAT THE HECK??? It's on my freaking computer how is it not available?!?!

That error usually means the last game you played didn't actually shut down and that the game exe is still running. Next time it occurs look in your Task Manager for the game exe, then manually kill it. :)

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
That error usually means the last game you played didn't actually shut down and that the game exe is still running. Next time it occurs look in your Task Manager for the game exe, then manually kill it. :)

wasn't the problem, already tried that. Also happened to a clan friend when he first installed Black Ops.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, in rare instances also pops up when a game hasn't updated, or finished downloading an update. Also happens if you launch a game before Steam finished closing down the last one. That's as much as I know.