Do you buy ...

Rebeca

Obliviot
There are no good stores around here, so I usually shop Newegg unless I see better prices at amazon or some other supplier I can trust. Before, I also used ebay, but last time I checked ebay, it was worse than what I was used to. It's too risky and cumbersome to do transactions there now-a-days.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Newegg does have almost everything although I suspect that they drop certain products that cannot meet their supply demand. Now there is a high class problem!

I often go to pricewatch & nextag to try to find better deals. Somehow and rarely, I find better deals. It has just occured to me that I never challenged 'egg to meet an online competitor's pricing ... they don't advertise that, but that might work. I did beat their price on the Seasonic X750 at Performance PC by a whole $20 but I was buying several water cooling parts from that supplier anyway and that find was by accident.

After I built my i7 920 system, I discovered that Micro Center had an incredible $200 walk in only deal for the i7 920 ... but that didn't show up on any online thing that I look thru ... they are 45 minutes from me. To save $90+ I would have been all over that. So this is why I started this thread ... not looking for another i7 920, but there must be some other incredible walk-in deals someplace!!!:) And I thought that online would always be less.:eek:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I often go to pricewatch & nextag to try to find better deals. Somehow and rarely, I find better deals.

After I built my i7 920 system, I discovered that Micro Center had an incredible $200 walk in only deal for the i7 920 ... but that didn't show up on any online thing that I look thru ... they are 45 minutes from me. To save $90+ I would have been all over that. So this is why I started this thread ... not looking for another i7 920, but there must be some other incredible walk-in deals someplace!!!:) And I thought that online would always be less.:eek:

I'll let ya in on a little secret then! Pricing engines aren't really useful for showing "deals", they often show the incorrect price, price for the refurb, and don't always factor in rebates or combo deal promotions.

For finding deals, I suggest you monitor one or both of these sites. :) There are several others too, but these seem to be the more sure fire ones. (Particularly the hot deals forums)

http://slickdeals.net/

http://www.fatwallet.com/

killem2

Coastermaker
If I can buy it from newegg.com, I do. :) I am a total newegg fan boy. They don't always have the lowest prices but they by far have the best outlet for pictures, specs, semi decent consumer reviews, and painless RMA procedures and quick customer service.