Diskeeper 10

Lancelot

Obliviot
I'm running Diskeeper 10 on trial. I have lots of files that are pink (Low performing) Why doesn't Diskeeper alter these?

madmat

Soup Nazi
The pink files are system's files that are in use, you cannot move files in use by the OS so they don't get moved and end up remaining fragmented.

To defrag system files you'll need to schedule a boot time defrag and reboot the PC allowing it to run the boot time defrag. The kernel will still remain fragmented since it's impossible to defrag a running process and the kernel will be running but nothing else will.

After the PC has rebooted run one last defrag session to defrag the files that the boot time defrag placed in a low performing area (why it does this I have no clue) and you're done.

Lancelot

Obliviot
madmat said:
The pink files are system's files that are in use, you cannot move files in use by the OS so they don't get moved and end up remaining fragmented.

To defrag system files you'll need to schedule a boot time defrag and reboot the PC allowing it to run the boot time defrag. The kernel will still remain fragmented since it's impossible to defrag a running process and the kernel will be running but nothing else will.

After the PC has rebooted run one last defrag session to defrag the files that the boot time defrag placed in a low performing area (why it does this I have no clue) and you're done.

Thanks for that. I tried it but get the message "Couldn't open summary/log file.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Deselect the option to create a summary/log. It will by default want to log to the A (floppy) and if there isn't one in the drive (or no floppy drive) it will error out.

Lancelot

Obliviot
madmat said:
Deselect the option to create a summary/log. It will by default want to log to the A (floppy) and if there isn't one in the drive (or no floppy drive) it will error out.

Excellant, thank you very much indeed it worked.

Dumby

Obliviot
I defragmented several times, even boot-up defrag, but still I have many low-performing system files all over the place :(

Kalo

Obliviot
Personally, i'd rather go with windows disk defragmenter than Diskeeper. I had an instance where, while working on a clients computer, Diskeeper would not work and as a direct tie to it not working, windows disk defragmenter wouldn't work either. Granted, this is a rare case, but one event can cause more than one problem. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I defragmented several times, even boot-up defrag, but still I have many low-performing system files all over the place :(

I am no defrag expert, but is it like that DIRECTLY after a fresh defrag? If so, I have no idea what to say, because that makes no sense. However, it may not be as bad as you think it is.

Personally, i'd rather go with windows disk defragmenter than Diskeeper. I had an instance where, while working on a clients computer, Diskeeper would not work and as a direct tie to it not working, windows disk defragmenter wouldn't work either. Granted, this is a rare case, but one event can cause more than one problem. :)

This is also strange. "Would not work" means what though? A stop error? Or just would not open? Sounds like a system service was turned off... because there is one that has to do with defragging AFAIK.

Kalo

Obliviot
Well, when I went to defrag and clicked defragment, it just sat there. Only occured after Diskeeper was installed, and ONLY happened on one system that used it(of many). :) Old news and nothing that is currently a problem so I can't go about fixing it(tried then). :)

dloneranger

Obliviot
if you check the report after an analysis what files are worst affected?
there are a few files that are MEANT to be fragmented (the bad sector file will NEVER be defrag'd for instance as it is spread over every bad sector that is found)
if you have a dual boot pc you can defrag some of these from the other os

[edit]
contig from http://www.sysinternals.com will defrag some things that diskeeper can't