Discuss: Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
How do you make a mouse more precise than ever? Use a new technology of course! We review the Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, which they promise to be 20 times as accurate as Optical. We put it to the tests, so check it out!

Check out the review here, and then discuss it here. Let me know what I missed in the review, and if you want something clarified, shoot it at me.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I've been weaiting for this review for awhile. Were there any pros in gaming with it at all?

"It has a freaking Laser!" <- Best line in the whole review. Maybe any review on site to date.

VeeSPIKE

Obliviot
Couple of notes

Just read your article on the MX1000, and wanted to make a few comments. I have had one for 3-4 months now and overall I am very happy with it. I just wanted to clarify/note a couple of things that I have experienced.

1. The right/left scroll function is something that Microsoft did first with its Intellimouse Explorer and Bluetooth mice. I have tried both, and the Logitech button feels more secure than the MS did.

2. The perils of early adoption. When I got my MX1000, I had some trouble with the scroll up/down button sticking in the page down position. It seems it was a little tight in the space provided. I took mine apart and filed down the back edge of the button a little, reassembled, and now it works perfect. I do not know if anyone else had this problem, but if they do, it is relatively simple to fix.

3. Logitech released new software, Setpoint, to go with the MX1000. It has problems with the older Mouseware drivers and sometimes requires reinstalling the Mouseware drivers AFTER the Setpoint drivers have been installed in order to work properly.

4. Setpoint has issues with some versions of Firefox in the the Forward/Back buttons will not work. They have to be reprogrammed to send Alt-Left and Alt-Right - OR you have to update your FF installation. It works fine with 1.2

5. It works great for gaming once you get used to it. You may have to turn down your mouse sensitivities from what you are used to. The laser also will register up to 1/4" off of the surface, so if you are working in a small area and pick the mouse up a alot, you will have to keep that in mind. If you intend to game with this mouse a lot, I will tell you that you should disable the Program Switch button. I found myself inadvertently hitting that button and getting my desktop quite a bit because of its placement.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madstork: If you mean "Were there advantages", then not really. I did like the super smooth wheel though.. it made weapon switching crazy easy. Once you get used to it, and learn to not pick up the mouse at ALL, then it's ok.

veeSPIKE: Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the comments. Thanks for clarifying about the mouse wheel, I had no idea the MS Mouse had it.

As for the gaming aspect, I agree. The main problem I had "was" lifting the mouse off the desk. I tend to move the mouse too close to the edge of the desk while playing, so it's a habit to lift it and put it back, and that's where it kicked my butt.

That's interesting about you having to file down the mouse for the button to work. That's definitely the first time I have heard of that problem.

Thanks for the comments guys!