Disable the Grouping of Similar Taskbar Items in Windows 7

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
When Microsoft released Windows 7, I think it made some major strides for the desktop OS, and when compared to Vista, there's just no comparison. But, there still exist some minor 'features' or changes that Microsoft made to its latest OS that drive me nuts. Fortunately, even though Microsoft doesn't offer the user control over many of these things directly, various tweaking programs exist to help you change what you need to.

overlapping_folders_windows_7_041411.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Why, I have to ask, Microsoft doesn't offer the user this simple option right inside of the OS itself, is truly beyond me.

They always have, even in the betas! Just had to right-click an empty portion of the taskbar and de-select two options. It is the first thing I always do for a new Win 7 install...

Not sure when this was changed (perhaps with SP1), but now it's in an easier to find spot. Just go to the taskbar properties panel and the dropdown box will allow labels / no combining, or partial combining only when the bar is full. They also added a setting to shrink the taskbar, back down to the XP-esque sizing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not sure when this was changed (perhaps with SP1), but now it's in an easier to find spot. Just go to the taskbar properties panel and the dropdown box will allow labels / no combining, or partial combining only when the bar is full. They also added a setting to shrink the taskbar, back down to the XP-esque sizing.

Are you sure you understand the issue? "Never Combine" is for stacking more than one like application into the same taskbar entry, not the issue I laid out in the news post.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This should help with things...

taskbar.gif

Windows moves all three instances of the Explorer, not just the one selected.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yep, I totally misunderstood what ya meant in that post. That can't be disabled from the properties area.