Despite an ISP Shutdown, Spam back to Ultra-High Levels

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Once in a while, we're hear news of something that should affect how much spam we receive, but by now, we've learned that that's never the case. Whether is a huge spam dealer being murdered, or an entire ISP being shut down, spam will usually decrease for a while, but not for too long. According to new reports, although there was a noticeable decline in spam in November, we're right back to original levels. Sweet.

Just how bad is it? Well, prepare to be depressed. Antispam company Postini calculates that a staggering 94% of e-mails are spam, and I don't have a hard time agreeing there. For whatever reason, I tend to be a huge victim of spam, and I've estimated that between SpamAssassin's work and what I actually receive, I'd get between 250 - 300 pieces of spam per day. That's ridiculous. I have little doubt it's even worse for others.

Aside from the annoyance factor of spam, I can't help but think just how much money spam actually costs people. It would no doubt be far more than what the spammers actually earn themselves. At Techgage, we have a rather simple e-mail server, but even it deals with near ten-thousand e-mails per day, and according to this logic, 9,400 of them would be spam. That's a lot of extra (needless) computing power. That's just us... multiply that by all the e-mail servers in the world. I'm not even sure I'd want to know the answer to that one...

spam_oh_spam_040109.jpg

But this year, average spam volumes have increased about 1.2 percent each day. And there is evidence that spammers are now building more decentralized, peer-to-peer spamming botnets that no longer rely on the visible and vulnerable control nodes that they were using at McColo to guide their spam e-mail campaigns. "What the spammers have been using to rebuild is more technically advanced than what got taken out and is itself a more resilient technology," Mr. Swidler said.

Source: New York Times