Dell to finally use AMD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"This is not a big deal. In order to remain competitive, we have to make sure that we have [a wide] enough variety of products to meet the market demand," stated a Dell executive who chose to remain anonymous. "This is a sensitive topic, though we won't deny the fact that we are working with Dell on desktop and notebook PCs," said AMD’s general manager of Taiwanese operations. Chou went on to say, “Consumers will be able to buy AMD-based computers from Dell by the end of the year."

It's about freakin' time. They stress the need for variety, and so it's 'not surprising' to see this move. Funny, considering it took years, and years for them to finally get a sweet clue.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Aww man... Now I can't dis Dell for not using AMD. :( Yeah, they should have realised AMD has a big following, and is becoming more popular. Too bad they'll have to change all their commercials to include an AMD logo. lol
I still wouldn't buy one of their pc's.. .

I just recently bought a DELL laptop and I just love it. I am pleased with it.
I'm not sure the exact stats on it as I am currently at work but I will update my post later.

madmat

Soup Nazi
This comes as no surprise really. After the Dellianware merger Dell finally got to play with AMD stuff and found out that it's better than Intel let on. Pretty simple .

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good point Matt. As much as I hate Dell, and their customer service, I don't mind their warranty. I've had a few problems with my laptop, and after finally getting through their thick skulls, they were amazingly quick to fix it... within 24 hours.

So, I like their warranty... so -maybe- my next laptop will be a Dell AMD.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Their warranty is difficult to be mad at. That is my main reason for recommending Dell computers to anyone whom does not need a high performance PC or I do not want to deal with at all.

I know that Dell will get a strong consideration when I purchase my next notebook.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I just helped my mother spec out a Dell AMD 3800+ X2 AM2 desktop and the total was $850 shipped for a machine I could not have built for $1000, never mind the shipping. It even came with a 17" LCD. Considering the next system down was a Celeron 325 for $750 shipped, it was a major jump up in performance to get the dual core for such a sweet price. I don't like Dell for a second for my use, but for people like my mom, it was the right thing to do. I have a feeling that AMD is looking to take over the low-mid range OEM market and are probably content letting Intel live on top for now. Gives them more capital to fight harder next year.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I agree with you B1lk1 100%. I recommend Dell to anyone whom I do not have the time to help constantly. My mom has a Dell, as does my Dad and sister. It's not a point of not wanting to help them, but as B1lk1 stated earlier, sometimes you can just purchase a Dell for far cheaper than you can part one togeather.