Dell Admits Problematic 3008WFP's, Pulls Model from Web Sites

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I mentioned last month in a news post that my personal decision between two 30-inch behemoths was with Dell's 3008WFP and Gateway's XHD3000, which we reviewed here. Although I appreciated the Dell's higher color gamut and DisplayPort inclusion, I ended up going with Gateway's offering because of the many disgruntled 3008WFP reports I stumbled across.

The biggest issue with the 3008WFP right now is with backlight bleeding, and for a monitor that carries an SRP of $2,000, such a noticeable defect is needless. The other issue is with input lag, although I'm unsure Dell would even call that a problem since it's most prevalent when using non-native resolutions.

The folks at Engadget hit up the PR at Round Rock to see what the deal is, and as it turns out, the problems were indeed widespread and resulted in a forced removal of the listing from all Dell.com web sites. Ouch. This won't affect a lot of people, however, as the waiting time for the new-fangled model has been at 6+ weeks for the past few months. Dell does assure customers that the issues have been corrected... it's now just a matter of fulfilling all those orders.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
dell_3008wfp_official_shot.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Currently the monitors are on extended lead times and in order to manage demand, the 3008 is not available on dell.com. We are managing orders on a prioritized basis and hope to have the product available to all customers in the near future.

Source: Engadget

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
It's just not like DELL to put out bad equipment... I have always felt that they set a certain stage in quality.
Unless someone went on vacation and left the wrong person in charge

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Unless someone went on vacation and left the wrong person in charge

Um... you mean from March 2004 to January 2007 when Michael Dell wasn't at the helm? :D

Seriously though, I do wonder about this. There is probably a small but non-critical defect of some sort that they don't want their customers figuring out, since every single 3008WFP ever sold is still under warranty.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I sure don't regret choosing the XHD3000 after all... but even that is being RMA'd as we speak. You can't win with a 30" monitor... I think it's a given.