decent and cheap headphones?

reptilezs

Obliviot
im looking to get some headphones for gaming and such. my budget is about 30-40 dollars. should i just goto best buy or some other store and buy whatever is on the shelf? anything to steer clear of?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For regular headphones, I just grab a cheap pair of $30 Panasonic or Sony headphones.

For headsets, anything by Plantronics is good. I am using a Logitech one now though, that I am very impressed with as well.

sp1k3

Obliviot
I currently use Koss UR-15c. The cost was about $20. I have had these for about 3 months and i must say they meet my demands. I use the headphones for gaming (cs, cod, etc), movies, and related things. If your the person not willing to waste $30+ on headphones, then Koss UR-15c will definatly meet u're needs.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Sennheiser, makes some excellent products. I picked up a headset by <a href = "http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=AHS302usb">Altec Lansing</a>, which is usb AND stereo adaptable. Sound quality is pretty good and wears easily. Should be about $25-30 in stores. The usb part is really neat, you can game or use ventrillo or teamspeak on em and still use your speakers for music or whatever.

fullpicture

Obliviot
Logitech has some affordable gaming headphones. I would not discount them when shopping for cheap and good quality headphones.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I just picked up a cheap pair of Sony headphone for gaming and I am happy with them. I would really like a premium set eventually but for now, these do their job and do it pretty well. They were 43 dollars so not to expensive either. :techgage:

xstatic

Obliviot
DarkSynergy said:
I just picked up a cheap pair of Sony headphone for gaming and I am happy with them. I would really like a premium set eventually but for now, these do their job and do it pretty well. They were 43 dollars so not to expensive either. :techgage:

Why headphones? Do you play games late at night when your roommates are sleeping? Wouldn't games sound a lot better thru a nice pair of desktop speakers?

Ben

Site Developer
xstatic said:
Why headphones? Do you play games late at night when your roommates are sleeping? Wouldn't games sound a lot better thru a nice pair of desktop speakers?

No, you can hear footsteps better with headphones.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Sony MDR-XD200

You can probably find them for under $30, and they're pretty decent. Good midrange, quite clear, and if you feel like really cranking them, they will jump around on your head.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Plantronics makes a basic gaming headset that can be picked up for around $25 on-line. Ill tryt og et the actual model number, but they are the low end of the stick for their line. But still use the same drivers as most of their other headsets, just without the extra fluff features.

Ive been useing them for about a month around the house, and for gaming, and for the local LAN.

Imaging is good, bass responce is decent enough where it needs to be, and most importantly, they are light weight, and comfortable to wear. Infact my Fiance who generally has a ahrd time wearing headphones (due to neck surgery), insisted that i also pick her up a pair, becuase they where the most comfortable headphones shes tried on.

It has an excelent quality mic (duh, plantronics), terrycloth like, velour ear pads, and a rubber floating head grip band.

I would say the ergonomics, and the sound quality, and overall general quality, are far greater then that of the Senheiser gaming hedset. And for less, as well.