Dead Island First Impressions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It used to be that World War II games were the laughing-stock of the gaming world thanks to their abundance, but the most blatant fad today has got to be zombie games. We might have Valve's Left 4 Dead to thank, because since its release in 2008, there have been a countless number of zombie-based games released, or games that feature some sort of zombie mode (Call of Duty: Black Ops is even set to release a zombie-specific DLC soon). There have been cute zombie games and there have been serious zombie games. What's clear - this fad, like zombies, refuses to die.

dead_island_090611_forum.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Here's a gameplay video we recorded to help you get a feel for the game:

<object width="560" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V5HlRF0bZFM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V5HlRF0bZFM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
You know, I don't want to rat on you, but last night I saw you firing up the game on Steam like 300 times in one hour. (Hey, it wasn't my fault! I'm not spying on you. Ask Valve to stop telling everyone all about your bathroom schedule) :p

So I have this slight suspicion that... oh-I-don't-know... you don't have very good things to say about dead island?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I kept restarting the game because no matter what I did, I couldn't record the game in a smooth manner with either FRAPS or PlayClaw. Things would start off good, but then the game would slow down considerably. I never had a game act like this before, and I know it's not a hardware issue (six-cores, 12GB of RAM and saving the video to a SATA 6Gbit/s SSD should be sufficient).

I might be just making things up in my mind, but if I recall, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood seemed to be the same way, and both use a similar engine. Did manage to capture enough video, though it is of gameplay that's running a bit slower than it should be. Best I could do though. Will post it soon.

And yes, Steam can be super spammy regarding all that. You'd think that it would give some sort of lenience where it won't display that notification again within ten minutes or something. If only I were a software developer...

marfig

No ROM battery
I was thinking you were having trouble with constant crashes. Reviews of the game a little everywhere paint quite a bleak picture of this title. Makes you think, "if the game is this bad and crashes this much, how come you were able to produce a complete review?"

Indeed it's not everyday one experiences this type of trouble with FRAPS. And definitely not on a machine like that. Since FRAPS even runs completely independent of the game it is recording, hooking itself to the GPU and not the game, it's hard to even think of a reason for this to be happening.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
The GFX aren't over the top, and I don't expect them to be with how the world is designed. I just dislike studios hyping GFX, such as DX11, and it doing little to nothing for the game. It looks like it could be fun, especially when you get COOP going, but with all the problems on Steam with it's release, I think I will wait for a sale.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I was thinking you were having trouble with constant crashes. Reviews of the game a little everywhere paint quite a bleak picture of this title. Makes you think, "if the game is this bad and crashes this much, how come you were able to produce a complete review?"

No kidding. I liked this quick article from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5837966/dead-island-goes-from-30-to-90-in-six-reviews

In the first 2.5 hours I've sunk into the game so far, I haven't encountered a single game-breaking bug, or bug in general that I've noticed. The game does have some annoyances (especially when you compare it to how Borderlands worked), but so far, there's not much I can complain about. It -is- a console port though, the graphics shine that fact through.

The GFX aren't over the top, and I don't expect them to be with how the world is designed. I just dislike studios hyping GFX, such as DX11, and it doing little to nothing for the game. It looks like it could be fun, especially when you get COOP going, but with all the problems on Steam with it's release, I think I will wait for a sale.

As someone who likes eye candy more than total fidelity, I am loving the game so far. I tend to be drawn to any game that takes place entirely on an island, because the colors are rich, and in the case of this game, there seems to be a lot to explore.

The only game currently more colorful might be Hard Reset!

Edit: Placed the video in the first post.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
That looked like fun. A bit worrying though that it doesn't seem the controls are that well tailored to the PC, judging from the difficulty you had driving the car. Also couldn't go unnoticed that they didn't change the console controller symbol that pops up when you get new skills...

Couple of questions:

- Judging from the other similar titles better tailored to the PC, is this Dead Island port worth anyone's attention?

- I couldn't quite follow what makes the game better suited to co-op, instead of single-player. Does the number of zombies scale up as players are introduced, or just how tough they are? And isn't it just a tad bit too centered on questing for it to be a good co-op?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The biggest "console port" sign to me is with the graphics. I didn't even notice that controller icon there; good catch. The control is one of the biggest problems with the game I find, though I am not entirely sure that's due to it being a console port. The way you walk is just not as fluid as most other games, and you seem to wobble around a lot more. Compare that to Borderlands, where the control couldn't be much tighter.

The reason the game is better for co-op is that the game would be quite lonely without a second player, and since this is a game about survival, you will have to help each other out. I died in the video, but because my brother also died at the same time, he couldn't come over and help me. Interestingly, just like Borderlands, you lose about 10% of your cash whenever you die - something I didn't even notice until I re-watched the video.

You can also trade items with each other, but up to this point I haven't found the need to do that. Later on, mods can be crafted though, and one player might have something the other needs.

In general though, given that this is a co-op game, it misses the mark in a couple of major ways. In Borderlands, cash is split between players, while here it isn't. Each person fends for themselves. Collector items that are found throughout the landscape also need to be picked up by each player, which can become a hassle because you will need to tell your friend/s to pick something up so that they don't miss out. Likewise, if one player begins a quest, it doesn't always appear that obvious to the other player. You will still see the NPC banter, but that quest will not automatically become your active one. It's just these small details that can complicate things.

At $50, I don't think this is a port worth the cash, just because it lacks a lot of polish. It puts you into the game without a lot of explanation about how certain mechanics work, and you end up looting a LOT of stuff that you are not even sure has a use. Weapons also leave a bit to be desired, because you constantly need to find replacements. It's realistic that after five or so zombies, your baseball bat is broken, but it still makes for semi-tedious gameplay. Whether or not upgraded weapons degrade at a slower rate, I am not certain. Upgraded some last night then hopped off (brother is not enjoying the game as much as I am).

There's also a problem of too many quests. About a half an hour into the game, I had five active quests, and it just left me confused as to what order I should do them in. Most of them so far are errand quests so far, but since I love exploring, I don't mind them that much.

Like Borderlands, the zombie difficulty does increase when more players are introduced, but I am not sure to what extent. In Borderlands, enemies as a solo player were almost too easy, so the same might be true here. We've only died once, which was the death in the video.

I guess in general, they made the game co-op because it could be. There are lots of zombie games out there that have co-op, but this takes things to the next level by giving you a large landmass to traverse and kick ass through. So far the game seems like it has a lot of freedom. I just wish it had some less niggles that I've mentioned, because it could have been a must-have if certain things and mechanics were better implemented.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Too bad. It had one of the best trailers to pump up interest that I have seen in a while.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sUczHkzZpsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I don't think the zombie theme is past its prime but I do think that some new life needs to be breathed into the genre. Simple hack and slash isn't going to do it although some Borderlands-esque fun is never a bad thing but if it comes down to it I'll just bust out the first BL DLC.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Simple hack and slash isn't going to do it although some Borderlands-esque fun is never a bad thing but if it comes down to it I'll just bust out the first BL DLC.

Yes! That was Zombie mode done right. A lot of that reasoning comes down to the control, and perhaps the fact that we had guns to use. I am not even sure DI has guns, though I am still quite early in the game.

marfig

No ROM battery
Still, I sort of liked the open spaces that video conveyed. If the island is anything like Just Cause, filled with lost of terrain to explore, this could indeed be an awesome game... assuming that fenced HQ isn't the only one you get.

And that trailer... wow!
I'd seen one with the dead girl already. Just not this one.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Yeah, a bunch of us were all horned up at work after watching this and then we saw game play footage in another trailer.

At first I was like :D and then I was like :confused: and then I was like :(

marfig

No ROM battery
You reminded me how I reacted to Elemental: War of Magic. That was a 2x :(
One of my biggest upsets in gaming history. Still get frustrated just from thinking about it.