DDR4 Supporting ATX ROG Mobos from Asus

TheFocusElf

Obliviot
Any idea on when we can expect some of these? With that 980 card dropping, DDR 4 and the new i7 Extreme, I think I am ready to build... I was going to wait another year, but the timing is right... (I feel like Chef would like to sing that last line)...

Cheers TG Community!

Edit: Oh and what does E.M.I. mean? :) Is it Latin for lazy non-article submitting bastard?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
EMI: Electromagnetic interference

What do you mean, DDR4 supporting RoG boards? Do you mean the mainstream Haswell platform, or the just-launched Haswell-E? Mainstream parts, like the 4770K for example, will never support DDR4; it's just not inside the memory controller. We won't actually see DDR4 on mainstream platforms for another year or more, it seems. Until then, it's all X99 / Haswell-E.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Did Intel move to building the memory controller into the CPU ala AMD? Previously they used a memory controller that was in the northbridge which meant that the CPU could support multiple memory formats. Example: my room-mates EP45-U3DP recently died (he's got an older 775 C2Q) and the mobo he replaced it with supports DDR2 and DDR3. DDR3 wasn't available when 775 first hit.

Last edited:

eunoia

Partition Master
I thought I was ready to build too, but DDR4 pricing just kills the bang for buck on all possible X99 upgrades. Really wanted to go for a completely new monster build, but this kinda killed my gearlust, so much so that I'm now balking at more reasonable (and justifiable) upgrades.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did Intel move to building the memory controller into the CPU ala AMD?

Yes, a couple of generations ago. I think the chipset is still required to make it work, though. For example, on X99 boards, you can't use ECC RAM because the chipset isn't programmed to accept it (it'd work, I'm quite sure, just not with ECC benefits).

I thought I was ready to build too, but DDR4 pricing just kills the bang for buck on all possible X99 upgrades.

It does hurt, that's for sure. But at the same time, even the smallest X99 CPU is quite powerful, so it compensates for it a wee bit.