dBpoweramp's CD Ripper Works Like a Dream Under Linux

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Yesterday, I posted about running Office 2007 under Linux with the help of CrossOver Linux, and to quickly follow-up, I'll say that I've been able to spend a lot more time with it, Excel specifically, and I'm incredibly impressed by its performance and stability. The worst problem I've had so far are slight redraw issues, which are easily fixed, so there are no real deal-breakers yet (except for the font-rendering, perhaps).

You may recall me whining a few weeks ago about a hard drive issue that could have ruined my day, but didn't, thanks to TestDisk. Well as it turns out, while all my important data remained safe, I started to find a lot of my music skipping throughout certain tracks, and it became obvious that the hard drive issue caused more than just a headache.

Being an idiot, I didn't have hard backups of the music (I was holding out on purchasing a large backup HDD... joke's on me), so I had to make plans on how I wanted to re-rip the CDs. Well, ever since I posted about dBpoweramp this past March, about how great it was to convert large music collections, I shortly after became equally impressed with their CD ripper. But the problem of course, that it was designed for Windows, nothing else. That tends to be a problem when you have hundreds of CDs to rip and you don't run Windows.

Well, I was happy to report earlier this year that dBpoweramp's converters work well in Linux, and I can now say the same thing for their CD Ripper... something I wasn't quite sure was going to work. It wasn't as simple as just installing the application, for me at least, but I think it depends on the distro. My problem in particular was with incorrect symlinks for the ODDs, but that was easily fixed.

As you can see in the above image, the application looks exactly as it would in Windows, and I can attest to the fact that it's very stable and reliable. I'm always wary of running applications through Wine when they need to be stable (especially when it comes to ripping perfect music), but I did many comparative tests, and I can say that the CD Ripper is just as stable under Linux as it is under Windows, so if it works, you don't need to have any concerns about it causing problems with your resulting rips.

At the time of writing this post, I've ripped exactly 45 albums with the ripper, and I didn't once have an issue. I can honestly say that the application is so stable, it's just as good as having a native Linux ripper. Oh, and if you happen to be wondering why I don't use some Linux ripper instead, it's because I like the AccurateRip functionality and all of the features that dBpoweramp's ripper includes. The ease-of-use helps also.

Source: dBpoweramp Homepage

DaleRipper

Obliviot
dBpoweramp's Batch Ripper in Wine - Eject Problems

Rob,

I'm building a ripping pc with a goal to rip cds with an average time ~1min / cd:

Hardware:
5 x SAMSUNG SH-S223L/BEBS SATA 22X DVD RW Internal Drive
2 x SEAGATE ST3750641NS Barracuda ES.2 750GB SATA
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX ATX motherboard
PHENOM II X4 965 3.4G
CRUCIAL 4GB DDR3

Software:
Ubuntu 9.10
Wine 1.0.1
dMC Release 13.3 – downloaded trial 1-23-10
Batch Ripper Release 1.3 – downloaded trial 1-23-10

It was your articles that convinced me to go the dbpoweramp route and Batch Ripper has proven to me that it will meet my time requirements and the audio quality of FLAC combined with the AccurateRip and PefectMeta I am ready to register today and start batch ripping, but I have ran into some problems. I can't get the Eject After Rip in CD Ripper and the Auto Eject in Batch Ripper to happen when the rip is complete. Any Ideas?

I see that your problem was with incorrect symlinks for the ODDs, would it be possible to give a short description on how you set that up? I have all drives working in Ubuntu but can not get them all working in Wine. They will “work” in Wine and dbpoweramps software but Spoon at dbpoweramp thinks it is likely that Wine is not passing through the SCSI eject command.

I'm not sure if it is Wine Config and I'm also having problems permanently configuring all 5 cd drives in the Wine Config?

CD Ripper Profile - Eject After Rip - Checked
Batch Ripper Config - Auto Eject - Manual Load - Selected

Batch Ripper is the only program open all 5 audio CDs rip in ~3min and then nothing, no eject.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks, Dale
PS I am fairly new to Linux, but I would like my ripping machine to be windows free!

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
I love dBpower amp!! I have a ton of podcasts I need converting to save space (Mp3/Mp4 to wma) and this thing works like a charm (select all + easy right click context menu)

DaleRipper

Obliviot
Rob,

I'm still trying to get dbpoweramp working in linux using wine. Getting it to see the drives, eject after ripping, then see the drive and work with the next CD has been a real problem. Any advice?

Dale

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi Dale:

Apologies for missing your post here, I'm not sure how I managed that one.

To be honest, I can't give a tutorial that's going to prove 100% successful, because in my experience, something that works one time doesn't work the other. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it could have to do with user permissions, groups, or what-have-you.

For what it's worth, my current working symlinks are:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 rwilliams rwilliams 10 Apr 8 2009 p: -> /mnt/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rwilliams rwilliams 8 Apr 8 2009 p:: -> /dev/sr0

That's found under: /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/

I'm not sure the reason for the p::, but I believe that's meant to direct to the actual device, while p: points to the mount spot. One of these might not be required, but it works for me so I left it.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Linux, but the first thing I'd do would be to open up the Wine configuration ('winecfg' without quotes into the run line) and then go to the Drives tab and click on Autodetect. Then run dBpoweramp's CD Ripper again and see if the drive is detected. Generally speaking, this <em>should</em> fix the issue. If not, you might want to install dBpoweramp as root, and then run the program also as root and see if the drives are detected fine. If so, then the issue is likely a usergroup issue (which should be simple to fix).

As for the eject after ripping, I have no idea what could cause that not to work. It could be something to do with that particular drive, but I'm not sure. I have had no issue using that feature before. Make sure the same drives can be ejected in Ubuntu as well. Simply open up a command-line or open the run line and type in 'eject'. That should eject every ODD in your machine.