D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
D-Link's DGL-4500 wireless router brings a lot to the table, including dual-band operation, 802.11n support, a killer built-in OLED screen, on top of features perfectly suited for online gamers. Of course, such a feature-packed router doesn't come cheap, so is it worth your hard-earned $180?

You can read Greg's full look at this high-end router here and then discuss it here once done!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I'd like to add something to this review...

It was mentioned that the OLED screen turns off after a few minutes. I would like to not only see greater control over what this display...err, displays, but I would like to be able to create my own information. We can do this with screens like the Matix Orbital so I surely it's possible to at least add a small section in the UI to allow control over this potentially awesome feature.

Also, I have ordered a dual band adapter and will update the graphs with 5 GHz band speeds. It should be here by the end of the week and testing will happen over the weekend.

Thanks.

Greg

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have actuall seen too many problems with D-Link products, at leat Linksys is a cisco product.
And the little D-Link silver fin modem has many problems, they usually last about 6 months.
( Results 1 - 10 of about 73,900 for D-Link modem problems.) google results

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I own a small switch that I bought about 4 years ago, this router and the DIR-655. I have not had a single problem with any of them. That said, I know there have been a lot of complaints from a lot of different people about their hardware in the past. Hopefully this has been addressed with higher quality gear.

Syran

Obliviot
My DIR-655 died a little while ago. I still need to send it in; but, I just got a DGL-4500 in the mail today, so i'll play with that instead.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hopefully this has been addressed with higher quality gear.
You'll see most companies, after they offer stock, only cater to the stock holders,..... forget the consumer and quality...it's showing a profit that only matters.
Thats why you see a company with a fantastic product die away into a dim memory. They went stock and refused to continue their progress.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I did not see it mentioned in the review... there is a serious shortcomming of D-Link routers that I rudely discovered when I bought a DIR-655 a week or two ago.

Every single bloody change, regardless of how big or small such as enabling a port, changing the NAT Endpoint Filtering, requires the router to reboot itself. There goes the entire home network and whatever transfers or surfing the other network users were doing for 15 seconds!

I seriously considered returning the stupid thing to Newegg but I didn't want to pay the absurd restocking fee. Linksys routers do NOT need to be rebooted to change ANY setting, except just once when updating the firmware.

U

Unregistered MeetTheGeeks

We posted your review

Hello guys,

We posted your review, and its great as always from you. Im not here to moan, Im here to say have a look at the new Belkin N1 Vision as that may surprise you.

As for higher end routers, gaming routers and those that offer a great level of control, I settled on an SMC barricade.. Its high £££ and a business end router but really worth it.

Nice to see you guys working so hard.

http://forum.meetthegeeks.org/forum/showthread.php?p=3835#post3835 if you want to talk any further, or email me guys..

Take care folks and keep up the good work.

Axle
MeetTheGeeks.org

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Linksys routers do NOT need to be rebooted to change ANY setting, except just once when updating the firmware.
Linksys are great, but rebooting depends on if it is a router or gateway.
If it's a router and is dependent on a modem with a dynamic IP, then when the IP changes, it has to be reset or rebooted
If its a gateway with either a dynamic IP or Static IP, then no, it does not have to rebooted.
Cisco has made many good products for home and business.
( Linksys has Cisco internals )

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I did not see it mentioned in the review... there is a serious shortcomming of D-Link routers that I rudely discovered when I bought a DIR-655 a week or two ago.

Every single bloody change, regardless of how big or small such as enabling a port, changing the NAT Endpoint Filtering, requires the router to reboot itself. There goes the entire home network and whatever transfers or surfing the other network users were doing for 15 seconds!

I seriously considered returning the stupid thing to Newegg but I didn't want to pay the absurd restocking fee. Linksys routers do NOT need to be rebooted to change ANY setting, except just once when updating the firmware.

This was noticed but not found to be that disturbing... then again, I am usually the only one on the network at any given time. I haven't used a Linksys router in honestly, 2 years so I suppose I simply forget about that convenience. Perhaps D-Link routers are just running Windows :D Regardless, thank you for pointing this out as it's certainly something that should be mentioned.

MeetTheGeeks, thanks for the linkage as well as your kind comments. We have tried in the past to review the N1 but have yet to get Belkin to agree to send one out for testing. If the demand is great enough, I will run out and purchase one for the sake of comparison. One thing I will say about the N1 is that I love the fact that the antennas are on th top of the router. This is something that I loved about the TRENDnet TEW-633GR as the antennas aren't in the way of the wired lines when placed vertically in it's stand so three cheers for the Belkin design team on that one.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
When troubleshooting connection problems and changing router settings one at a time, with each setting change requiring you to knock the entire network + everyone offline including yourself for 15 seconds every setting is more than a minor inconvenience, its just aggravating to everyone on the network and can result in data loss if it reboots at an inopportune moment.

My problem was that the NAT Endpoint Filtering setting overrides Port Forwarding, and overrides DMZ settings. Completely! If I hadn't recalled a bit I'd read from an Ars Technica article explaining NAT functionality in regards to IPv4/IPv6, I'd have never known to try adjusting the NAT Endpoint Filtering to get one of my programs to actually work. Which was another + for the old Linksys that didn't need DMZ or port forwarding for the same program.

SMC Barricade... if you ever review one, try putting a P2P load on it. The last Barricade I had would actually crash with a mere hint of a load. Their tech support did have me try a few configurations, but that didn't fix the crashes. They RMA'd it, but even the replacement unit did the same thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Which SMC product did you own? I ask because it seems that TRENDnet and SMC release similar routers, and by similar, I mean identical. If the internals are the same, then both companies just re-badge them and call them their own. D-Link also uses the same internals as TRENDnet in the DIR-655 and the TRENDnet TEW-633GR so perhaps this is the same for all D-Link routers.

Perhaps we will try to get many routers from many different companies and compare hardware used and wireless performance. As always Kougar, thanks for the input.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I had to go dig it up from a pile in the back room: SMC7004ABR Barricade. Was advertised as a broadband router and supposed to have been one of the best, unless the tech store guy was lying through his teeth. This was back around the start of 2003, before I got heavily into tech stuff and started doing my own research.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had to go dig it up from a pile in the back room: SMC7004ABR Barricade. Was advertised as a broadband router and supposed to have been one of the best, unless the tech store guy was lying through his teeth. This was back around the start of 2003, before I got heavily into tech stuff and started doing my own research.
I work with a lot of SMC Gateways in the commercial end
Not a bad product at all..
In fact I prefer to work with those....we have to buy from different vendors, so not one vendor gets all the business...which sucks, but when I can, I get the SMC

U

Unregistered

DGL4500

I have one and when in game my ping goes way up when my wife gets on the internet. What gives???

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have one and when in game my ping goes way up when my wife gets on the internet. What gives???
ROFL...no wonder it goes up.....when she gets on, you share the bandwith over your connection.......any router does that .....

U

Unregistered

duh

I know that, I have 8 megabit down (when surfing you use mostly down and a little up) and 512 up. Now the whole reason for this router existing is to prioritize and control the QOS (uopload) so you dont run out and get high pings. It doesnt appear to be doing this. It does worse than my Netgear $50 router and it cost me $180!