Current Overclocked CPU World Records

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
With overclocking seemingly more popular than ever, maybe you've caught the bug and have begun pushing your own machine to the limits? Given the room here is too warm even in the winter, it's the last thing I'm thinking of doing right now, but I still can't help but look around the web and remain in awe of some of the accomplishments others have made. While I tend to be far more impressed with stable overclocks (on air or water), it's hard to not be impressed by what LN2 or even dry ice can accomplish.

In checking to see if I had the latest version of CPU-Z on hand, I decided to check out the records page and see if some world-records had been broken lately, and to my surprise, some have been. Although nothing is sure to touch old-school records like duck's 8.18GHz P4 631 overclock (due to current architectures, not talent) for a while, it's overall performance that matters, and that's where today's top overclocks really shine.

It took some time to see it happen, but it looks like coolaler managed to hit the evasive 6GHz mark on a Core i7-975 Extreme Edition, just one month ago. His raw clock was 6061.09MHz, and he used a 195MHz bus and scary-high 31x multiplier to get the job done (it was even done with a full 6GB of RAM installed!).

cpuz_8ghz_071209.png

I am not sure how I missed this, but it looks like AMD's Phenom II X4 processors have also hit a major milestone: 7GHz. This happened back in April, so I'm a little embarrassed to have missed it, but it was hit by three members of LimitTeam, who saw a raw frequency of 7127.85MHz, utilizing a 250MHz bus. Very, very impressive.

With Intel finally having seen a 6GHz overclock hit on their Core i7 processor, they're probably anxious to finally see Lynnfield launch so extreme overclockers can get down and dirty with pushing it to the limit. Something tells me it's going to overclock a wee bit better than i7, thanks primarily to the loss of the QPI bus, but we'll see.

Source: CPU-Z World Records

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you are interested in this sort of thing, here's the people that took 2nd place (now third) on the world frequency records Link

Intel did make the claim that Bloomfield was supposed to out overclock Lynnfield, but you may be right. It will be interesting to see how that plays out, and how truthful Intel was being.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's quite an impressive clock! I mean, if there's a budget chip, it's that one, and to overclock to 150% and beyond... insane. As for Intel's claims... we'll find out soon enough I guess. It's hard to know until then what's the bottleneck... the Nehalem architecture, or the QPI bus and IMC.