Crysis Warhead Features 5-Time Activation Limit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
DRM is a hot topic... there's no denying that. It's a subject that I've tackled in our news section a lot, and in many ways, I might sound like a broken record. But, there's just something about DRM that inspires me to write something. It's more than just inspiration, though. It's more of an anger-filled passion that forces me to say something. I just can't keep shut. That's just how it goes.

Even though I've despised DRM for a while, it never affected me (aside from Windows licenses, maybe) until this past September, when S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky came out. I was psyched to begin benchmarking with that particular title, but the fun was short-lived, if you recall. That game, like Spore and a few others, has a five-time install limit.

Clear Sky takes things to the next level, though, because while most games assume that the motherboard is equal to the computer, if you as much as swap out a video card with Clear Sky, say good bye to one of your installs. Even today, I'm forced to use a publicly available "crack" that allows me to bypass the security. I have no shame in admitting it, either. If any wants proof that I own the game, feel free to check here for it.

So why am I bringing this all up again? Well, it's because I've been hit with DRM in the worst way once again, this time with Crysis Warhead. This is an issue that really took me by surprise, because I had no idea this title had DRM, much less an install limit. Unlike Clear Sky, though, this game actually does base it's install limit on more than just the video card, which for most gamers, is a good thing.

Oddly enough, it took months for me to realize this, which might be partly thanks to Norton Ghost, which allows us to restore OS installations with ease. On top of that, since we generally use the exact same motherboard for GPU testing, the game had no complaints. Still, it's clear to me that DRM continues to be a huge problem, and though I've said it before a hundred times, people who pirate the game have not a thing to stress over. They can play the game just fine.

What bothers me most about EA's DRM, though, can be seen in the above screenshot. It isn't so much the fact that the game isn't usable, but it's their recommendation: "This limit has been reached. Please purchase another registration code, reinstall, and then try again." Wait, what? EA actually wants to you re-purchase the game if you expire all five of your installs? It doesn't take a brainiac to realize how asinine this is. It could be just poor wording, as after searching around, I found out that you can give them a call and explain the situation. Then they'll apparently reset your count to zero, which is very kind...

wolf2009

Obliviot
Hey Rob,

I am a long time reader of Techgage and absolutely love you articles and testing methodology.

Just registered to comment on this.

I too was hit by this Warhead DRM. I was absolutely disgusted by this. What you didn't add in your article that the phone-calls made to EA may take more than 30mins as they will place you on hold.

So in the end,

Gamers who purchase the game , have to spend 30min to get the game started,

Pirates can start it without any wait

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi wolf2009:

Thanks for the nice comments, and welcome to the forums :)

Calling these companies generally takes a while, so I figured it was common-knowledge that you'd have to be prepared to spend a half-hour on the phone. It's a sad reality, really. Not all companies are like this, but most seem to be.

It can't be quite as bad as calling Microsoft, then entering a 32 (or is it 64?) character "key" that's rejected, only to have you wait longer on hold until a representative decides to pick up the phone. In my experience, Adobe has been one of the best companies in this regard. I could usually call them and be done within five minutes.

But that's a huge side-track. What worries me is that these games need to "phone home"... what happens in a time when their servers are down, or gone completely? We are going to be stuck. I believe EA said in the past that if they ever closed the servers, they'd issue a patch to allow the game to work again, but still, that's ridiculous. People can just go on some site and download a crack that works too.