Creative: Doing Little to Please Consumers

U

Unregistered

And yet, in spite of being fully aware of all this, you ran straight out and plopped down whatever Creative wanted for its latest and greatest X-Fi, didn't you?

That's why Creative doesn't have to change a thing, because nobody puts their money where their mouth is. And by that I don't mean giving Creative money then crying about it after the fact.

I mean stop giving Creative money, period. That sends a message. Giving it money first and crying later doesn't.

can we disable the "unregistered" people from posting?
No.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I was not under the impression that Creative ever wrote an effective driver set to begin with so I fail to see your bitter argument to the otherwise.

Creative has been overcharging for their products and providing poor support for their products for years and it is only because of their virtual monopoly that they had success. Now that the C-Media based soundcards are FAR superior then I personally hope people stop spending their money foolishly on vastly inferior Creative products and put that company where they belong which would be the bottom of the garbage barrel.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
PS: people hate when "unregisted" posters like yourself come in with a major attitude when they do not have the courage to register and put their credibility on the line.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I mean stop giving Creative money, period. That sends a message. Giving it money first and crying later doesn't.

Thats kind of an unfair comment. Going forward, indeed, stop given them your business if your unhappy with how they are handling things. Stepping back though, many people had X-Fi cards when Vista was launched but got the high hard one from Creative for quite a while due to lack of support. Those people have/had every reason in the world to be unhappy.

Users will almost always side with the underdog when said underdog gives us good reason to. We all wanted to see Sean Fanning succeed against the RIAA and we all want Daniel_k's story to reach as many people as possible simply because it might, ever so slightly, get Creative off their asses and get them to give the community what Daniel has been for quite some time.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Registering does nothing but give me an avatar. I am just happy he's offing opinions. Case in point. going back to his original one stating that Daniel might not be able to work at creative, so be it, it's his opinion.

I will agree with you B1lk1 that Creative's hardware has been somewhat suspect in the past. Then again, I am no audiophile. I use on-board.

U

Unregistered

Thats kind of an unfair comment. Going forward, indeed, stop given them your business if your unhappy with how they are handling things. Stepping back though, many people had X-Fi cards when Vista was launched but got the high hard one from Creative for quite a while due to lack of support. Those people have/had every reason in the world to be unhappy.
Its a continuum of going forward and being unhappy with Creative's most loyal consumer base. Look at NVIDIA, nobody has screwed more people with broken chipsets, non-working features, and premature obsolescence than NVIDIA.

And yet NVIDIA keeps logging record revenues and profits each quarter. One year ago, it was "Man, that totally sucks NVIDIA won't support NForce2 and 3 under Vista. So I ordered a new 680i SLI board today. It was a bargain at only $250!"

Six months later, it became "Man, that sucks my 680i SLI board can't support 45nm Quads. I cannot believe NVIDIA...hey that new 790i SLI board is looking pretty good, and a real bargain at only $350!"

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Its a continuum of going forward and being unhappy with Creative's most loyal consumer base. Look at NVIDIA, nobody has screwed more people with broken chipsets, non-working features, and premature obsolescence than NVIDIA.

And yet NVIDIA keeps logging record revenues and profits each quarter. One year ago, it was "Man, that totally sucks NVIDIA won't support NForce2 and 3 under Vista. So I ordered a new 680i SLI board today. It was a bargain at only $250!"

Six months later, it became "Man, that sucks my 680i SLI board can't support 45nm Quads. I cannot believe NVIDIA...hey that new 790i SLI board is looking pretty good, and a real bargain at only $350!"

Brother, thats called progress. It's also the MO of the entire industry. The case with NVIDIA though is that they have products that people HAVE to buy to game. Creative does not. All they have is a silly relationship with Fatal1ty... LOLZ. Both have had piss poor relations with the customers in the past as well.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have the Audigy 2Z, but using SLI could never use it in the last three builds:
AMD2 6000+ with Asus M2N32 SLI WiFi
Intel E 8400 with EVGA 780i
and
Q9450 with EVGA 780i
The audio card was just too close to the video card to breathe.
So, the last time I really used it was on an Inntel 478 ( some Asus board ) with WinXP
So maybe there are issues with Vista drivers and not XP?

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have the Audigy 2Z, but using SLI could never use it in the last three builds:
AMD2 6000+ with Asus M2N32 SLI WiFi
Intel E 8400 with EVGA 780i
and
Q9450 with EVGA 780i
The audio card was just too close to the video card to breathe.
So, the last time I really used it was on an Inntel 478 ( some Asus board ) with WinXP
So maybe there are issues with Vista drivers and not XP?

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

When I had a pair of 7800 GTs, I had your same problem. Manufacturers like Asus that place a 1x (or even their proprietary) slots at the top, above the first PCI-E slot help out a lot when trying to get an audio solution into your PC but don't have room thanks to your double GPUs.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Yeah, you have a good point here. NVIDIA has had way to many issues that Intel chipsets didn't, such as the aforementioned 65nm Quads + 4GB RAM combos that couldn't work right due to chipset or mainboard design, or the 45nm Quad issue. There was a reason after all they extremely quickly dumped 590 for 680, which isn't mentioned oft anymore. It is the reason I still have only ever purchased Intel chipset motherboards.

However Creative brought this upon themselves, and despite daniel_k's crediblity and expertise, the sad fact is he produces far more stable drivers than Creative ever bothered to do, for both old products and new. Such as this: http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/creative-driver-debacle-rumbles-43200/

Even amongst enthusiasts and tech-geeks how many research a company's driver support before purchasing a sound card, motherboard, or other device? Honestly, do you? I think it is safe to say almost no one does, I don't even.

The fact that people buy Creative's sound cards and either don't realize they are being ripped off on the driver support side or realize it only in hindsight doesn't excuse Creative in the least from what they are doing. Nvidia's faults and problems aside (And ignoring that it took them a long time to get on track with Vista drivers, which they eventually did catch up on) they have good and very stable drivers. Creative on the other hand doesn't, for X-fi cards to Audigy to their basic sound cards. Even Realtek makes some extremely sound (excuse the pun) drivers.

gml_josea

Obliviot
Even amongst enthusiasts and tech-geeks how many research a company's driver support before purchasing a sound card, motherboard, or other device? Honestly, do you? I think it is safe to say almost no one does, I don't even.

I don't either, but I think this is a good time to begin doing so.