CPU HSFU for Athlon X2

Hi guys, I am thinking about upgrading my CPU by spending the least amount of money. I may upgrade to an Athlon X2 6400+ to max out my current setup.

Obviously, I'll probably need to get an after market CPU cooler from Zalman or some other vendor. I am thinking about this one.

My main question for you is, if I have an ASUS M2N-E mobo, what tips do you have for taking out my old CPU, and installing the new CPU complete with Zalman cooler??

I've built two computer systems from scratch in my time and I've never had to mess with taking a CPU out once it's already in. So I know I need thermal compound but from the looks of it, I may have to take the CPU socket bracket out and replace it with the Zalman one. Is that true??

Tips or wisdom is appreciated!

This topic might be boring :)

Well try this... what about overclocking my current CPU? It's in my sig along with my setup. I have NEVER overclocked before because I didn't know too much about it and I was afraid I could crash and burn my system.

Now that I'm more comfortable with my skills, what is a good way to start overclocking? My conception is that I'd get into the BIOS and just tweak the CPU clock speed.

Is it that straight forward??

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I may have to take the CPU socket bracket out and replace it with the Zalman one. Is that true??

It's just four scews to take the bracket off, but I recomend laying the case on it's side, there is a plate with threaded holes, to keep them lined up. I think it may serve as a heatsink so I would leave it on