CPU cooling solution maintenance ... rant

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I have water cooled and air cooled CPUs & they both require maintenance. For water, that means ensuring that some of the coolant hasn't disappeared over time. To me, this seems inevitable regardless of purchasing a "sealed" self contained system or the obvious assembled system using plumbing connections of some type.

I do not have 1st hand experience with a sealed system, but I have noticed a few pleas for help from a very few whose CPU "has been over heating" & they had a sealed system. In my opinion, I don't see how any affordable system can be produced that is hermetically (or whatever) sealed with a sterile coolant. I expect leaks that may take several months to cause an appreciable drop in coolant, but the time unit will be in months vs several years.

For an assembled plumbing system, the drop in coolant will be quicker tho still in months. My experience is if it about a year & ma-a-aybe a little longer. That may not be considered too bad, but then there is the issue of topping off. And, it is never just topping off.

Working with clear tubing you can typically see plenty of "foreign material" flowing thru as well as attached to the insides of the tubing. No telling what is inside the CPU heat exchanger and I am sure that the radiator is as least as bad. I am convinced that this will happen within 2 years.

Soooo, a complete dis-assembly is in order. :(:( Flushing must be made of all nonreplaceable parts ... CPU heat sink & radiator. Good luck with that! Just consider how one would accomplish this given that we don't do this sort of thing very often. Thus, the "ma-a-aybe a little longer" comment above as I will put this off as long as possible. For me, this is when the system starts shutting down due to over heating ... too often.:eek:

Upon dis-assembly, it is realized that all tubing must be replaced. Not the easiest thing to find locally. The 1st question is, "what OD/ID is what I have?" Figuring that out tends to cause one to avoid online purchase just because the likely hood of getting the wrong size is evident. *Appropriate* plastic tubing might be found at Homedepot or the like, just as likely not. Replacing any fitting are also expensive I would add.

Also, while dis-assembling you see lint accumulation between the fan(s) & radiator. Who knew?:eek: Clearly this is something that should have greater attention a couple of times in the year. My systems do not sit on the floor & I live in a clean environment ... no animals.

On assembly and in retrospect now, I wish I would have boiled all of the components & at least ran very hot water thru the pump. Pumps. I wonder if they can tolerate bleach as well as temperature tolerance? Well I only flushed the radiators & CPU heatsink with bleach. Then flush with tap water for several minutes to get the bleach out. Most of the flexible plastic tubing in these systems cannot tolerate bleach.

Then there is the fluid replacement. Get the "wetter" & antifreeze from the auto store as well as picking a gallon or 2 of distilled water from a grocer. Need enough distilled water to flush out the tap water used above ... don't need to start a new culture in the system any sooner than necessary. :(

So throw the system back together & fill with properly mixed coolant .... NOT! Tubing needs to be cut to proper lengths and square cuts. Do this just like you done many time before when you plumbed your house.:rolleyes:

Upon assembly & with coolant added, a little tricky since it must be drawn out of the mix bottle ... 1 of the distilled water bottles. Don't let air in & flush a bit more to purge air bubbles. Rotate the whole case around to help purge the air bubbles. Keep that tube in the coolant supply bottle!!! There done!:D

No. Check for leaks. And, you do have a cooling system that can be powered up without powering up the computer, right?

Soooo, you can finally reassemble the system and power up the computer knowing that you have a fresh system for at least another year.:D:D Well, keep the sides off just so you can monitor the coolant level for at least a month.:(

Of course with a sealed system you save yourself all of this by just throwing it away. :mad::rolleyes::p

Psi*

Tech Monkey
CPU cooling solution maintenance ... rant ... part deux

Air cooling is easier. HA!

I have 3 of those huge Noctua Russian apartment building looking "nearly as good as water cooling" heat piped 2 quiet fans for each air coolers.

My office is clean (did I say that before?).:confused: The computers do not sit on the floor. Oh, I also have fan filters for the case fans ... a few.

I have had to replace a few components in the various systems. HDs, mobos, PSUs ... nothing major. Just the normal stuff that forces you to open things up.

Upon dis-assembly you see some dust & pull out the minivac. More dust is discovered around the CPU cooling solution. Pull the fans off, begrudgingly:(, knowing what a PITA it is to get the spring retainers back on.

Good grief. Every apartment in that Russian apartment building is occupied:eek:!

So you pull the the heatsink out ... a week later, after you receive replacement heatsink compound. Then you can really clean the heat sink. With this commitment you don't stop at just a good vaccuuming which is well beyond what the minivac can do anyway, but go for a thorough washing with warm water. Then air dry with your auto air compressor ... you do have one of those don't you?:eek:

Ok, so I have cheated & just used cans of compressed air to blow things out in a cloud of dust. Have I said that my office was clean?:(

So in the balance, the rant about air cooling is much shorter than water cooling, so air cooling must be better.:)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Heh, I laughed a lot at what you said, because for most things, I agree. Water-cooling for me has always been a hassle, even when I've used self-contained kits. I just gave up, and stuck to air, because though it's not perfect, it is a lot easier to deal with.

Psi* said:
No. Check for leaks. And, you do have a cooling system that can be powered up without powering up the computer, right?

Well, the easiest thing is to have a secondary PSU (or the PSU out of your machine), short two wires and power the system on that way. If you DO test it inside the case, I'd unplug every connector from the PSU except the one connected to the water-cooling kit. If there IS a leak, at least the water will fall to powered-off hardware which could be taken care of before being powered-on again.

As for dust on air coolers... I'm curious. You NEVER have to dust anything around your office? If not, then the fact that dust gets in is pretty interesting. I'm not one to talk about it though. I have the opposite problem... way, way too much dust.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
As for dust on air coolers... I'm curious. You NEVER have to dust anything around your office? If not, then the fact that dust gets in is pretty interesting. I'm not one to talk about it though. I have the opposite problem... way, way too much dust.

I was being facitious :cool:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Heh, I laughed a lot at what you said, because for most things, I agree. Water-cooling for me has always been a hassle, even when I've used self-contained kits. I just gave up, and stuck to air, because though it's not perfect, it is a lot easier to deal with.

Well, the easiest thing is to have a secondary PSU (or the PSU out of your machine), short two wires and power the system on that way.

... ... ...

I have the opposite problem... way, way too much dust.
I was feeling humorous, but doesn't meant that it always comes across that way. I suppose humorous and ridiculous :rolleyes:

I had found water pumps that run on 110 VAC. The pump has its own power cord supplied thru a little relay triggered with the computer's PSU. So when the computer is off the pump is off & visa versa. Also, set it up so that the pump can be run without turning on the computer. That let me work on the water cooler independent of the computer ... as in off.

I'm not just another pretty face. :p

I vacuum all of the time :mad: I have thought about getting some kind of subservient furry quadruped & tie a lint cloth to its tail ... will update if anything comes of that.:rolleyes: Note my Mark Twain quote ... I'll use ignorance as an excuse if I have to, but am a little on confidence in this case.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I vacuum all of the time :mad: I have thought about getting some kind of subservient furry quadruped & tie a lint cloth to its tail ... will update if anything comes of that.:rolleyes: Note my Mark Twain quote ... I'll use ignorance as an excuse if I have to, but am a little on confidence in this case.

I give my customers a simple set of guidelines, around the changes from Daylight savings in the spring and fall...

"Change your clocks, change your batteries, clean your computers".

I generally supply a can of blast air with the purchase.

Seems to work out fairly well.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I give my customers a simple set of guidelines, around the changes from Daylight savings in the spring and fall...

Seems to work out fairly well.
Smart. Very smart.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

Do you have many customers that don't clean out their computers, despite having a can of air handy? There's been a few friends I've dealt with who have a nice can of compressed air right in the same room, but an entire year will go by before they think to use it (and that's only because I tell them to). Everytime they open their computer, they're like, "WOW, so much dust!"... yeah, take a freaking hint.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Do you have many customers that don't clean out their computers, despite having a can of air handy?

:D I can ususally tell that because their smoke detectors won't be working either :eek:

There's been a few friends I've dealt with who have a nice can of compressed air right in the same room, but an entire year will go by before they think to use it (and that's only because I tell them to). Everytime they open their computer, they're like, "WOW, so much dust!"... yeah, take a freaking hint.

Seriously though....

Yep, some people will neglect anything for as long as they can. So yep I see it all the time. Get a call, about false reboots, head on over, blow 5 pounds of dust out of their CPU cooler and the machine works fine again.

However, with my home town being perhaps the dustiest place in Ontario, most people appreciate the suggestion and do follow it.... Round here you can dust twice a day and people will still raise an eyebrow at the condition of your window sills...

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Yep, some people will neglect anything for as long as they can. So yep I see it all the time. Get a call, about false reboots, head on over, blow 5 pounds of dust out of their CPU cooler and the machine works fine again.

Could this problem be avoided by using filters?

Also...ummm, should I open up my laptop and give it a good dusting as well? I've been noticing some overheating lately.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Could this problem be avoided by using filters?

Yes putting filters on your case's air intakes will help quite a bit. But then you will have to clean the filters.

I use Scotchbrite pads as air filters on most of my machines. (Image below) They're like 79cents for two at the grocery store and you can wash them and re-use them many times. Simply cut to size and fasten them on the inside of the air intake with a couple of bits of Duct Tape.

Also...ummm, should I open up my laptop and give it a good dusting as well? I've been noticing some overheating lately.

Unfortunately laptops are not made to come apart easily. Most are good for 2 or 3 teardowns (at best) before you start breaking the plastic clips or stripping the screws. So taking it apart except in case of repair is generally not a good idea.

Laptops usually use a ducted cooling solution with a fan in the bottom and an air exhaust on the side... The heat sink is someplace between the two. In this case you can most often remove the battery, unplug the power supply, put the air nozzle in through the fan opening (far enough to prevent the fan from spinning like crazy) and blast it clean that way. Be ready for a lot of dust coming out the hot air exhaust on the side.

Also make sure nothing is blocking the fan or the air passages when using the computer. Those tiny fans barely move enough air as it is...

Attachments

• scotchbrite.jpg
    scotchbrite.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Yes putting filters on your case's air intakes will help quite a bit. But then you will have to clean the filters.

I use Scotchbrite pads as air filters on most of my machines. (Image below) They're like 79cents for two at the grocery store and you can wash them and re-use them many times. Simply cut to size and fasten them on the inside of the air intake with a couple of bits of Duct Tape.

That is the single most brilliant solution to a common problem I have seen this week (last week there was some Malawi kid who built windmills from twigs and spare bicycle parts).

All the more, since this is cheap and very doable. Will definitely use it when I build my first rig after this semester.

Edit: realneil over at HotHardware also thanks you for the suggestion. :)

Laptops usually use a ducted cooling solution with a fan in the bottom and an air exhaust on the side... The heat sink is someplace between the two. In this case you can most often remove the battery, unplug the power supply, put the air nozzle in through the fan opening (far enough to prevent the fan from spinning like crazy) and blast it clean that way. Be ready for a lot of dust coming out the hot air exhaust on the side.

Also make sure nothing is blocking the fan or the air passages when using the computer. Those tiny fans barely move enough air as it is...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've gotten myself a nice notebook cooler to extend my laptop's life.

Will try blasting some air into it. It will be satisfying to see a puff of dust come out of the exhaust. :)

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
All the more, since this is cheap and very doable. Will definitely use it when I build my first rig after this semester.

Edit: realneil over at HotHardware also thanks you for the suggestion. :)

Glad you liked the idea... Look for them in with the dish soaps and pot scrubbers.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I like the Scotchbrite thing too. Kudos 2Tired. There are more grocers around than Homedepots and Lowes ... of course I don't get looked at as strangely in those places when I pick up something & start imagining some unintended use for it in a PC.

I have cut up thin furnace filters for fan filters also, but that is more expensive that this.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I also like the Scotchbrite idea, but aren't those a little dense? Most air filters I've seen on PCs have been half as dense as those, to allow air to pass through. Scotchbrite's look a little solid, so I'm not sure if it would hurt the airflow or not. Either way, I love solutions like these... no one will go broke on this one.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I also like the Scotchbrite idea, but aren't those a little dense? Most air filters I've seen on PCs have been half as dense as those, to allow air to pass through. Scotchbrite's look a little solid, so I'm not sure if it would hurt the airflow or not. Either way, I love solutions like these... no one will go broke on this one.

Good question.... If there is any impediment to airflow I've never noticed it.

FWIW this stuff also makes pretty good speaker grilles....

Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
:D Good one....

Serously through, from industrial sources you can get scotchbrite in a dozen or so different colors, including black.

Lol, you're a regular MacGyver.

Give a rubber band, a paper clip, and some scotchbrite and I'll make you some Bose headphones!