Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The latest incarnation of the world's most popular anti-terrorist game series, Counter-Strike, has just arrived. Global Offensive brings many changes to core mechanics, adds new game modes, and improves visuals. Will these changes help bring back old players, or has the bomb finally detonated on the series?

Check out Brandon's full look (and first article!) at Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and then discuss it here!

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
Cool review, Brandon!

I've never played CS, but I have buddies who do, and they love it. None of them have tried CS:GO yet (as far as I know), but based on your review it looks like a good way to keep interest in the series going. If nothing else, your review's got me curious about trying CS for the first time.

I'll pass your review on to my friends; hopefully a few of them will see fit to comment on the review and the game as well.

Good job!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Great review, Brandon.

I have got to test this game out soon. I never was into the original, but sunk hundreds of hours into Source, until most of my friends went onto other games. I have a soft-spot for cs_office ;-)

I'm still iffy about some of the map alterations, but there are a couple of upgrades I love. The player list up top, showing who's dead or not? Awesome. Seriously. Also impressed with the addition of the Molotov... seems so un-CS like, but it could really add a certain dynamic to smaller maps, where you could literally block off an all-important hallway.

All-in-all, looks to be a great update for the series, and it's sure hard to complain about the $15 price tag.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Thanks Rob & Big Red Machine.

@Big Red Machine: It's defiantly worth a look. I wish there was a guest pass or something, not like it isn't possible to do with steams inventory system.

@Rob: Let me know and I'll join you. I think you will like what you see. (c:

RobbyBob

Obliviot
I've been playing the CS series since 1.4, and I have to say that I love GO. I think all of the map alterations are done in good taste and help to balance the game out a hell of a lot more. There was a time when de_dust was so CT-sided that it was almost unplayable as a T. Now dust is about as balanced as I think it could get without turning it into dust3.

The weapons are also vastly improved. In Source I would stick with the M4 or AK almost exclusively, but I find myself using every one of the weapons now. Also, the AWP isn't completely over-powered, since the current weapon array is able to balance it out. The Molotov was really a game-changer. I use it to block paths behind me when rushing so I don't get flanked.

Oh and Rob, you said you have a soft spot for cs_office? Well, I really do think you'll like GO's version. I hated Source's version of office for whatever reason, but the subtle changes they've made completely fixed it for me.

Edit: I think that this game was a steal at 15 bucks. I've already put >100 hours on it (I'm between employment right now, so I decided to take a little break with what money I have saved up).

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm looking forward to giving it a GO (had to) soon. I am busier than ever at the moment so it's hard to get the ambition to hop into a new game... Borderlands 2 will be an exception.

I think that this game was a steal at 15 bucks.

Based on everything I know about the game, that sure seems to be true!