Cosmos air flow

Krazy K

Partition Master
Inside the cosmos 1000 there are 3 120 exhaust fans and when you throw in a PSU pushing air out and a 9800 GX2 you'd figure you would need to replace all that air somehow. Well under the PSU mount there is an intake, however if your PSU doesn't have a bottom fan then this is useless, in my case the PC P&C 750 silencer. Sadly, one of the two intakes has the baffled HDD rack in between in intake screen and the fan, then there is that porting in the side of rack so all this fan will do is recirculate the interior air. One 120 pulling air in is just not enough. I added a 4-3 device module an moved my HDDs there. This cooled the drives but the 9800 can't overcome the negative pressure and cool themselves well enough.

Has anyone else had this problem? I found a Freezone for $70 to run on the CPU(not telling you where until I get it). Has anyone mounted a 2x120 rad in the top of the case and got good results with liquid cooling CPU/GPU?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't quite picture the problem, but this is one huge downfall of some dual-GPU cards. ATI cards tend to run hotter than NVIDIA, but for whatever reason, they also manage to handle that heat better. I'm not sure what to recommend though... liquid might be the best way to overcome whatever it is that's holding back your good airflow. Maybe faster fans too, I dunno.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Changing over the two intake fans would help and by faster I know you mean higher volume. I was looking for a trick or something clever that someone figured out to equalize this or a cooling solution (liquid or TEC) that really works well.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Inside the cosmos 1000 there are 3 120 exhaust fans and when you throw in a PSU pushing air out and a 9800 GX2 you'd figure you would need to replace all that air somehow. Well under the PSU mount there is an intake, however if your PSU doesn't have a bottom fan then this is useless, in my case the PC P&C 750 silencer. Sadly, one of the two intakes has the baffled HDD rack in between in intake screen and the fan, then there is that porting in the side of rack so all this fan will do is recirculate the interior air. One 120 pulling air in is just not enough.

If the pictures I found are accurate, there is a fan mount in the bottom of the case just behind the HD mounts... that fan should be mounted to draw air into the case. There is another mount on the upper back, which should be blowing out. This should provide adequate circulation... If negative pressure is a problem, use a 12mm fan to blow in and an 80 for exhaust.

Hope this helps....

Krazy K

Partition Master
use a 12mm fan to blow in and an 80 for exhaust.

Now that's an idea. The case isn't drilled for 80s, but I suppose that I could line up the fan through the honeycomb to get screws into it.
The bottom fan is pulling air in, and along with the top back fan you saw there are two more directly above it exhausting as well.