Corsair Unveils the World’s Fastest Production DDR2 and DDR1 RAM

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
fussnfeathers said:
I don't disagree there, but up until a couple of months ago, AMD was the lower seller. But remember, you can still buy PC133 if you need it. Sales longetivity has little to do with current machine sales.

Y'all also have to remember that DDR2 was designed as a stopgap between DDR and DDR3. The plans and specs for DDR3 were announced at approximately the same time, but needed other tech to catch up (like higher FSB speeds, faster NB chips, etc).

Do we really need DDR3 now? It won't do anyone any good until they come out with faster processors.

Dual-core procs will certainly benefit from the headroom. What you're talking about is chicken and egg. Yes, we won't see the benefits of DDR3 until faster memory controllers are used (although we are already up to 1066mhz FSB on Intel and 2000mhz HT on AMD), but if the RAM isn't being made, what point is there in Intel and AMD making the processors for it? Somebody has to be first, and since the DDR3 standard was pretty well set a few years back, RAM will be first, with procs and mobos to follow. If everybody just sat around and waited for the others to come up with stuff first, we'd all be posting over the Usenet on 9600baud modems, with 33mhz Turbo processors and 120mb hard drives.

I'll disagree with the idea that the majority of forum users have AMD. Over at Tweaknews, we're split at a pretty even 50/50, with a few more Intel users than AMD. In fact, many of our members run both types of systems (myself included). Regardless of that, discounting Intel sales because of forum posting is kinda silly. Neither Intel nor AMD care about a few 'net forums, and in fact, AMD has always tried to an extent to market to bigger chains (anybody else remember when Gateway and Dell both used AMD procs? The machines sucked, so they went back to Intel).

AMD people laughed at me a year ago when I said AMD would have to go to DDR2 relatively soon, they all said "no way, DDR2 isn't enough of a performance boost for AMD to even look at it", yet here we are, looking at the new AM2 with DDR2 support.

fullpicture

Obliviot
DDR2 is not enough of a performance boost, neither is PCI express. They support the newest technologies because if they did not then people would be led into switching to their competition. The +1% improvement is really not worth it.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
We can't stop progress. The next best thing is always around the corner and it's our responsibility to upgrade or not to upgrade. I have plenty of friends with AGP setups that can game just as well as anyone else. Upgraded mobos, sockets, RAM and such are a beautiful thing because eventually, they will mature and become mainstream. The longer something is out, the more it matures and comes down in price. All this new technology only benefits the end users which last time I checked was you and me. :techgage:

phonywish

Obliviot
DarkSynergy said:
We can't stop progress. The next best thing is always around the corner and it's our responsibility to upgrade or not to upgrade. I have plenty of friends with AGP setups that can game just as well as anyone else.

I'm very happily running on an AGP setup. Geforce 6800 GT AGP graphics card, that is overclocked to the roof. Can run any game as well as anyone using a pci-express.

DarkSynergy said:
Upgraded mobos, sockets, RAM and such are a beautiful thing because eventually, they will mature and become mainstream. The longer something is out, the more it matures and comes down in price. All this new technology only benefits the end users which last time I checked was you and me. :techgage:

Seems to me that the end users pays the cost of research when they buy the first generation products that never work as well as advertised. Companies sell their products long before they are ready, they pocket the profits, then they eventually release a product that works as it suppose to. I won't ever buy a first generation product. I wait until the product does mature and works as well as advertised.