Corsair Unveils the World’s Fastest Production DDR2 and DDR1 RAM

liqnit

E.M.I.
COrsair has crossed a new speed barrier with their new memory modules
DDR2 - 1066MHz, the new TWIN2X1024-8500
DDR1 - 550MHZ TWINX2048-4400PRO

wonder what speeds we will see in DDR3 ....

read here

madmat

Soup Nazi
I bought a PC3700 kit for $320 back in 2003 that had bad problems with not wanting to do anything over 466MHz, for $320 it should have some headroom plus I had 4x256Mb sticks of their PC3200LL with BH5 chips that couldn't run the default 2-2-3-5 cas latencies at 200MHz.

All that ram got RMA'd and the replacement ram still had the same problems so I gave the PC3200 away and traded the gig kit of PC3700 for a 512Mb kit of OCZ (2x256Mb) PC4200 that was stable to 560MHz (280FSB 1-1) and swore off Corsair.

Now if they sent me a kit to review and it did what it was supposed to with reasonable headroom I'd stop being pissed at them but until such time as I see that they've got their act together first hand I'm not dropping any of my money on their ram ever again.

Well........that was three years ago..........the current Corsair RAM is some of the best on the market.

Anyway, I'm not overly confident that they'll be able to produce those sticks in any reliable quantity (OCZ-DFI optimized RAM, anybody?) due to the high quality of the chips required. One bad chip will drop that DDR 550mhz right back down to 400mhz, if not lower.

madmat

Soup Nazi
To my thinking, I could understand if it was 2 sticks out of 12 (yes, 12, PC3700 = 2 sticks, twice. PC3200 + 4 sticks also twice) but to have issues with 12 sticks out of 12 sticks. That's just too high of a failure rate for me to want to spend money on that brand ever again.

If you bought 6 hard drives and they all failed then got 6 more on RMA and they started screwing up would you be very hip on spending money on that brand again? Or 6 motherboards, same thing?

I really doubt that after having 12 out of 12 of anything in a row fail on you that you could honestly say "Hey, I think I'll take a chance on buying Brand X again and see how well my luck runs." I just can't see getting burnt like that again.

Oh, I agree with you, you had a bad experience. I'm the same way with certian brands. You folks love to recommend DFI. Personally, I've had very bad experiences with them (the shop I used to work at tried DFI a couple years back, and had a 75% failure rate. I can't recommend a DFI board because of that).

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm glad you guys can understand my position, most people just think I'm Corsairphobic and have no understanding of why I see that kind of failure rate as anything to consider extreme.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Don't feel bad madmat, I'm not a big fan of Corsair ram either. I do use several of their other products, but not their ram. Not the best for AMD systems IMHO, they are over hyped.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I personally love Corsair, and the PT4000 2GB kit is the best I have ever used over _any_ maker. I've been extremely pleased with all Corsair I have used, and have had better luck with them than any other.

It's all about luck, apparently.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob Williams said:
It's all about luck, apparently.

Certainly.

A lot of it comes down to the time it was made and in some cases, chips made one week might yield high overclocks and as soon as the next week, the batches of chips are not overclocking as high. As frustrating as that is, and as constant as the manufactures want the process to be, sometimes "stuff" happens that decreases the overclockability of a certain line of chips, whether it be CPUs or RAM.
:techgage:

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
i wouldn't hold your breath for ddr3 ;)

also, the pc4400 1gb sticks are cool, i talked to a corsair rep and they use infineon CE.. let's hope they got around the 3d stability issues that everyone else was having

tugovony

Obliviot
liqnit said:
COrsair has crossed a new speed barrier with their new memory modules
DDR2 - 1066MHz, the new TWIN2X1024-8500
DDR1 - 550MHZ TWINX2048-4400PRO

wonder what speeds we will see in DDR3 ....

What is the rush for DDR3? Most computers do not use DDR2 yet.

tugovony said:
What is the rush for DDR3? Most computers do not use DDR2 yet.

Most AMD computers do not. Almost every new Intel machine comes with DDR2, and with the AM2 coming out in a few months, most new AMD machines will come with DDR2 as well.

LOOP

Obliviot
fussnfeathers said:
Most AMD computers do not. Almost every new Intel machine comes with DDR2, and with the AM2 coming out in a few months, most new AMD machines will come with DDR2 as well.

I wonder how many AMD computers are out there already, that use plain DDR? Millions and millions of them, I bet. The memory companies will be selling DDR for a long time still.

I don't disagree there, but up until a couple of months ago, AMD was the lower seller. But remember, you can still buy PC133 if you need it. Sales longetivity has little to do with current machine sales.

Y'all also have to remember that DDR2 was designed as a stopgap between DDR and DDR3. The plans and specs for DDR3 were announced at approximately the same time, but needed other tech to catch up (like higher FSB speeds, faster NB chips, etc).

tugovony

Obliviot
AMD sells more to hobbyists and enthusiasts then Intel. Intel sells more thru the big name companies like Dell and Gateway. Intels sales figures will always be higher because of selling thru Dell and Gateway. But AMD is what the majority of people on forums like this one use.