Corsair SP2200 2.1 Gaming Speakers Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In our look at Corsair's SP2500 high-end speakers back in March, we were left impressed by the quality offered - especially for the company's initial offering. With its mainstream SP2200, priced at $100, the company had quite a job at hand to make sure that users received a perfect balance of features and audio quality. Has it succeeded?

Take a look through Jamie's in-depth look at Corsair's SP2200 speakers, and then discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
why are Razer and Corsair Gaming speaker 2.1 when 5.1 gives better surround sound and immersion!?
These are affordable, so i might consider these if they become available!
I am kinda in the market for a new speaker system! For gaming ofcourse! :D

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It mainly comes down to space. 5.1 only works if the speakers are setup properly and are balanced to create an accurate envelope of sound. If it's not setup correctly then you're often left with a ball of sound, rear sounds like side, center to the left, and so on. It gets even more tricky when you throw phase matching into the equation (it's possible for 2 speakers to cancel each other out, removing a directional cue), since it's not just about volume and distance that can determine the accuracy of a given direction.

Headsets are becoming more popular for 5.1 and 7.1 because you have better control over the environment. Plonking the two rear channel speakers in a surround sound set behind you and expecting accurate rear audio is wishful thinking. Plus, a lot of people either have a wall or empty space behind them, so you either need mounts or stands for the rear speakers, sticking them on the floor does little good.

Then there is a matter of audio quality. Which is going to sound better, a 2.1 or a 5.1 system for the same $100? Personally, i'd pick better sound quality over directional cues.

As for the marketing as a 'Gaming' set of speakers, then yes, you have a point, and one I raised in the last article with the SP2500's. Gaming really is about surround sound and spatial awareness, can't fake that with a 2.1 system. However, you can still get a pretty good grasp of your surroundings with stereo, since you end up with 3 channels; left, right and the combined center. If you hear something to the side, but can't see it, you know someone's sneaking up on you. Movies and environmental ambiance, then yeah, the rear speakers really add to the immersion.

As for these speakers in particular, they are more in line with a 'Desktop' set of speakers, due to the smaller profile. For the price point, these blow a lot of other speakers out the water. They are a lot more forgiving as well when it comes to integrated audio Vs. a dedicated card. But they are very niche, you can't use them for a home theater setup, the midrange just doesn't carry well enough over the distance. Put them on the desk, listen to music, movies, etc, in front of a monitor and you're golden. Go outside that comfort zone, then it will show its weaknesses.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
very well explained! :D

I have a wall behind me and i have 2 of my rear speakers at the back. I really like having sounds and explosions coming from the back speakers, it really immerses me well! especially in movies!
Till some good set of speakers become available i'll just stick with my current ones!

Do any of the below listed speakers worth the upgrade from my current one?!?
<table id="table1" background="image/galaxyback.gif" border="0" cellpadding="0" height="700" width="585"><tbody><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"></td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890">
LOGITECH Z-640 5.1 SPEAKER
</td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890">
LOGITECH Z-3 WOOD GRAINED
</td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890">
LOGITECH WIRELESS MUSIC SYSTEM FOR IPOD
</td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890">
LOGITECH S-100
</td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-bottom: 1px solid #CC99FF; border-left-color:#CC99FF; border-top-color:#CC99FF" align="center" height="18" width="890"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Then there is a matter of audio quality. Which is going to sound better, a 2.1 or a 5.1 system for the same $100? Personally, i'd pick better sound quality over directional cues.

This, x ∞.

If I had a nice big room to game in, I wouldn't think twice about getting a 5.1 setup - but I can tell you it'd cost a lot more than $100. For that price, or even $150~$200, you're just not going to get quality sound out of each of the sattelites, and not likely the woofer, either. For 5.1 to not sound like you're in a tin can that enemies are shooting at, it'd be worth it to spend some cash on a higher-quality offering.

I admit I'm not much of a speakers guy, though, and all of my gaming is done with headphones (I game late at night, so even if I wanted to use speakers, I couldn't!). The only thing I ever listen to through speakers is music, and for that, you sure wouldn't want a 5.1 setup (unless all you listen to are 5.1 concerts).

After learning how impressed Jamie was with these speakers, I picked up a pair to replace my old Logitech X-240s that I ended up snapping the cable on by accident (things got a little too caught up behind the desk). I haven't had the chance to use them a great deal, but from what I've heard so far, these speakers sound like speakers of a higher price-range... say ~$150. Jamie is certainly right in that you basically need the sub so that the audio doesn't sound flat, but the result at regular listening volumes or higher is fantastic.

To test any audio card or speakers/headphones, I always go to this as a test track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvGTxpG9uc

There is so much bass and so many sound variables heard throughout. These speakers handled the track very well, even at a high volume (50% is loud). Family didn't appreciate it too much, but I certainly did ;-)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i have G35s and i hardly use them! Man i'm soo stoopid! :D

Why do i need to waste money on speakers when i have these great 7.1 gaming headsets! lol!:eek:

Thanx u guys! Money saved! :D

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but reading the article I saw the comments on port noise... What I would call "booming" or "doubling" and wanted to comment on some simple fixes for such problems, even with $100 class speakers...

Doubling is when the phase relationships between the port and the speaker are roughly 270 degrees out of phase... the speaker pushes out, it's pressure wave begins travelling toward you, then it reverses and begins to pull back in... at this moment the pressure inside the box pushes air out the port producing a second pressure wave travelling slightly behind the first. This effect also works in reverse when the woofer pulls in and rarifications are reaching you out of phase... The result is that a 40hz tone is magically turned into an 80hz tone... which is both out of place and far more audible. (Human hearing falls off very rapidly below about 100hz...)

Booming is a slightly different phenomenon. In this case the presure and rarifications from the bass port are occuring right in perfect step. But, since this only happens at one frequency (a function of audio wavelength and box/port dimensions) you get one note that just pounds out into the room, seemingly with far more energy than the rest of the music.

A third phenomenon called "Subtraction" also happens when the sound coming out the port is 180 degrees out of phase with the main woofer. This generally happens at very low frequencies when the box/port combination is simply pumping air back and forth as the woofer moves without developing any pressure inside the box... The woofer pulls in, the port breathes out... little or no sound is produced.

Add to this, the matter that most low to mid-range speakers employ oversized ports in the attempt to suck every last ounce of performance out of relatively low powered amplifiers and small speakers and you have a problem just waiting to happen... There is a reason "audiophile" systems usually employ 12" (or bigger) woofers in sealed enclosures.

Ok, so what's to do about this? Literally --- "stuff a sock in it".

No, I'm not having you on. The technical term is "Passification" and it works by relegating the bass reflex port to it's proper role... presure equalization... NOT the production of sound.

The quicky sock test is a way to determine if the problem is the port. If it is, you should notice that the sound smooths out pronouncedly and the direct sound from the sub-woofer sounds more realistic and may even be louder!

The proper material for the job is either low density urethane foam similar to the stuff used on microphone wind covers or spun glass "pink" insulation although wool socks do work. The idea is that it passes large volumes of air more slowly but does not block the port entirely.

The correct amount and positioning in the port is a matter of some experimentation but with patience you can considerably improve the sound of almost any subwoofer.

Last edited: