Corsair H100 Self-Contained Liquid CPU Cooler Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Corsair has yet to release a liquid CPU cooler we haven't been impressed by, and the H100 doesn't become an exception. Building on what made the H80 such an impressive performer, the H100 doubles the radiator length, enabling support for up to 4 fans. One thing it proves? Bigger can indeed be better.

Read through Ryan's in-depth look at Corsair's dual-rad H100 CPU cooler and discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
>> does show just how powerful the new design is and how far all-in-one liquid coolers have progressed when compared to previous technology.

Absolutely! It's really very difficult to not be excited about this technology. One thing I notice is how thin the radiator actually is, leaving here some room for future expansion. The resulting temperatures are simply awesome and with the tendency of processors to become more and more efficient and generate less heat, I'd say all-in-one liquid will keep chewing away at the more elaborate liquid cooling solutions.

Just checked my case for good measure, and sure enough I'd have enough breath clearance for a 4 fan mount. This Nox Coolbay SideWindow wouldn't be my chassis of choice today. But I can't really complain about the spacious interior for sure. However the rear exhaust is not meant for 240mm. It's 160mm (1x120mm or 2x80mm configuration).

But none of that matters when Corsair has two other pearls that are still relevant, like the H60 and H80 that are 120mm setups. I wonder if sooner or later we'll be seeing a more common 160mm config with 2x80mm fans...

Really exciting every time you come up with a new all-in-one cooling test.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Thanks. I've been waiting for the H100 to show up for a long time -and- I'm happy that we're one of the first sites in North America review it. Now I can stop bugging Rob every day. "Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?"

I really don't think that we'll see these coolers use any fans smaller than 120mm. 92mm fans and lower simply don't have the static pressure to push the air through the fins of the radiator unless the RPMs go through the roof and that adds system noise negating one of the advantages of liquid cooling.

Smaller fans just aren't efficient. What we could possibly see is the launch of 140mm radiators. If you look at past trends, 60mm fans were all the rage. They fizzled out and 80mm fans took the lead followed by 92mm fans. Hardly any cases out there have mounting points for anything less than 92mm fans these days with 120mm being the go to size. We're starting to seeing more and more cases with pre-installed 140mm fans so maybe we'll shift towards that as the "standard".

You are right though. A thicker rad and this thing would be insane assuming people could fit it in their cases.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Yeah. That tells you how much I'm off the loop for thinking 80mm fans are still doable :p

And your note brings me to another thought; This whole thing about moving the cooling process to the computer chassis (instead of on top of the processor) greatly contributes to the all-in-one liquid cooling versatility and room for future expansion. Would you agree? It's a nice side effect to water cooling that, I think, is at the core of the technology ability to adapt and improve itself. It's definitely a solution that is going to stay.

I mean, there's so much air cooling can do on top of the processor without that starting to become an issue. Who knows, maybe even forcing board manufacturers to rethink their designs. And we are starting to see these problems with the more recent generation of air coolers. From memory clearance issues, to weight issues. But water cooling in general moves the bulk of the cooling process to the chassis where it is much easier and cheaper to adapt to new sizes. Chassis manufacturers can easily design new solutions to larger radiators without even a fraction of the difficulties board manufacturers would face. Meanwhile, cooler manufacturers themselves can more easily improve on their current designs (including size and weight) without so many clearance problems.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Case manufacturers have more freedom than motherboard manufacturers because motherboards are handcuffed to a specific form factor. The only thing that motherboard manufacturers they can really play with is the features of the board itself and not the core layout while case manufacturers only need for the mounting holes on the motherboard tray and the I/O opening to line up.

musicequips

Obliviot
The review states that it is not feasible to install the H100 in a push/pull fan configuration in a 600T case. Three push/pull install choices are offered by finding: "Corsair H100 Install in 600T case"

eunoia

Partition Master
"Asetek was supposed to have its Waterchill 2011C ready to roll around July or August but news about it has been pretty scarce since."

That was diplomatic. :D

I've been muttering some stronger words...

Thanks for the review, my plan was to switch from air to a 240mm closed loop if these show a marked advantage. It's not as impressive as I had hoped, but still shaving off degrees, and opens up a bunch of space above the GPUs.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The review states that it is not feasible to install the H100 in a push/pull fan configuration in a 600T case. Three push/pull install choices are offered by finding: "Corsair H100 Install in 600T case"
I just spent the last two days renovating our new house and I'm dead tired so I'll make this brief. I'm sorry if my replies sounds short.

1. Installed on the top but pulled towards the left panel and mounted with 5 screws instead of 8. This is easily the best of the three but I still wouldn't suggest it because it's not the intended mounting method. It may prove to be secure enough but I wouldn't do it in my own system so I won't suggest to to our readers.

2. Installed on the left side panel mesh insert. If you need to do work inside this severely limits your workspace. It just isn't functional.

3. Installed behind the hard drive cage. If you're the same person who posted the YouTube video, I know that you say your temperatures are fine but my i3 would likely run close to what your 555 does so it may work for us BUT throw an overclocked i7 along with an overclocked GPU. That's one hot running system to begin with and with the recycled air it's just going to get worse so again, I can't suggest it as a mounting method. If it works for you, that's great.

Sleep now!