Corsair 2GB TWINX2048-4400PRO

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Corsair once again wants the top spot in the DDR market, and they have it. The 4400PRO is the only 2GB kit available at these speeds, which is reason enough to check them out. Well, they prove very fast as we had hoped, despite the somewhat loose timings. Let's take a deeper look.

After reading my review here, discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

Ordered a pair, will arrive today

Rob Williams said:
Corsair once again wants the top spot in the DDR market, and they have it. The 4400PRO is the only 2GB kit available at these speeds, which is reason enough to check them out. Well, they prove very fast as we had hoped, despite the somewhat loose timings. Let's take a deeper look.

After reading my review here, discuss it here!

I'm currently running an A8N-SLI Deluxe w/ bios 1017.004 (beta). The rig is running with a 5/6 memory divider (i think). The ddr is set to 333 and I run the fsb/multiplier at 10*250. This results in a 2500mhz core and 418ddr memory. I currently have the cosair standard 2gb kit (2.3.3.6 1T). It is hoped that I can run 1:1 250fsb. Performance wise, I not expecting a big jump, just wanted to do it. I'll let you know tonight, delivery is expected today. Thanks Gagers!

U

Unregistered

Received them - quick experiences

Unregistered said:
I'm currently running an A8N-SLI Deluxe w/ bios 1017.004 (beta). The rig is running with a 5/6 memory divider (i think). The ddr is set to 333 and I run the fsb/multiplier at 10*250. This results in a 2500mhz core and 418ddr memory. I currently have the cosair standard 2gb kit (2.3.3.6 1T). It is hoped that I can run 1:1 250fsb. Performance wise, I not expecting a big jump, just wanted to do it. I'll let you know tonight, delivery is expected today. Thanks Gagers!

Ok, my rig consists of:

Athlon X2 4200
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
SB Xfi Platinum
Hauppage MCE500
7900GTX-SLI
600w seasonic SLI PSU
2gb Cosair DDR550 (part being evaluated)

With a 2gb pair of Corsair 3200c2's I was running a 5/6 mem divider a FSB of 250 with a 10x multiplier (2500mhz core, mem DDR418)

With this pair, The highest OC i can reach is 255x10 at a 1:1 ratio. The memory timings are 3.4.4.8-2T. The bottom line is the memory latency is a lot higher at this frequency, but at the sacrafice of the 1T timings, bandwidth suffers. 1T settings crash shortly after bootup (same spot every time, desktop and then BSOD). The highest 1T i could get was at 240mhz fsb. But my benchmarks prove that it is running healthier at a 1:1 mem/fsb ratio than using a memory divider. The only decrease I witnessed is in Sandras bandwidth benchmark (using 2007 edition, Guru3d has it), the latency benchmark had very positive results. If you need specifics in my experience, just ask. I believe my limitations are inherent of the processor. But I'm happy with the results- not sure if it was worth almost 300 bucks (considering my short memory size/perfomance jump).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, yeah I am surprised that CPU can't go higher than 2.55GHz. Even more, I am _very_ surprised that you crash going 1T. Even with my subpar kit, I was able to do 272MHz at 1T no problem.

There's definitely something there messing with you. I blame it on Infineon ;)

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
Hmm, yeah I am surprised that CPU can't go higher than 2.55GHz. Even more, I am _very_ surprised that you crash going 1T. Even with my subpar kit, I was able to do 272MHz at 1T no problem.

There's definitely something there messing with you. I blame it on Infineon ;)

Dunno if it's the mobo or the cpu. I've upgraded my PSU(mostly for the SLI configuration), and my overclocking experiences remain consistent, and the new ram experiences reflect similar cpu core results. But never before was I able to run such frequencys with the cpu/mem at 1:1.
The mobo won't allow for higher core voltage than 1.45, and no NB adjustment. the NB still runs at 1000 HTT, dunno if 4*250 settings require higher voltage for that. Think it may be the motherboard or the infineon chips?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not too sure. What's your HTT multi at? It kind of sucks that you can't go above 1.45Vcore, but it should still be able to give you at least 2.7GHz.

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
I am not too sure. What's your HTT multi at? It kind of sucks that you can't go above 1.45Vcore, but it should still be able to give you at least 2.7GHz.

The multiplier is 4 for HTT. So, as far as i can tell, a 250mhz fsb times 4 should be right in spec (with the exception of a 250mhz fsb...). It would normally be 5x200, so not sure if the NB is an issue or not since the resulting frequencys are the same. Maybe SLI adds a strain to these conditions. I'll play around some. I did try 1t and using extreamly loose timings otherwise, same result. I guess timings can be tricky from mobo to mobo.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Try 3x HTT multi and then 265FSB with a 10x multi.

I would throw your Vcore at 1.45 and your memory voltage at 2.8v. I can't see why 3-4-4-8 at 1T would not be possible at these settings, or a CPU overclock for that matter.

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
Try 3x HTT multi and then 265FSB with a 10x multi.

I would throw your Vcore at 1.45 and your memory voltage at 2.8v. I can't see why 3-4-4-8 at 1T would not be possible at these settings, or a CPU overclock for that matter.

I tried. Same thing. If I were to experiment, does a newer mobo make sense? The DFI from you article sounds like a later model than the a8n sli deluxe. Perhaps it's more capable. Either way, the ram still runs at rated speed, I do miss 1t capability. Once you go blinking lights on your memory, you can't turn back......

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with that board, but I know it's a popular one. Have you updated to the latest BIOS for that board?

I am not sure if it's a directly similar board, but Corsair tested 20 of these kits in an A8N-SLI Premium and each and every one worked fine. They were also using an X2 4200+, which makes this even more odd.

You may want to read Redbeards last post in this thread regarding the memory. It could be a BIOS issue, I am not positive. He ran his X2 4200+ at 2.75GHz though.

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
I am not familiar with that board, but I know it's a popular one. Have you updated to the latest BIOS for that board?

I am not sure if it's a directly similar board, but Corsair tested 20 of these kits in an A8N-SLI Premium and each and every one worked fine. They were also using an X2 4200+, which makes this even more odd.

You may want to read Redbeards last post in this thread regarding the memory. It could be a BIOS issue, I am not positive. He ran his X2 4200+ at 2.75GHz though.

Those two boards,(the deluxe vs premium) do have some differences outside the NB heatpipe. I'm tempted to try one, and would prefer the premium over the newer a8n32 so when SLI is used with dual slot cards, I still have two pci slots available. Thanks for your help and resourcefulness.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I haven't used an ASUS board for AMD in a while, but if it's anything like my Intel P5WD2, it will rock. Good luck man.

U

Unregistered

Got the A8N32SLI

Rob Williams said:
I haven't used an ASUS board for AMD in a while, but if it's anything like my Intel P5WD2, it will rock. Good luck man.

The memory does not seem to have an issue with this board and I have options out the ying yang. It's annoying that the 7900GTX SLI setup blocks all but one pci slot. I had to go with the hauppage tv tuner over the Xfi. Tough choice, I don't want to spend any more money for crap I already have (ie usb tuner). Hey, thanks for all your help, sorry for bitching.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No worries about bitching, I can understand the frustration. It's too bad that more things are not using the PCI-E 1x and 4x slots :/

U

Unregistered

hi Rob,

I am very new to overclocking and have few noob questions... If I am replacing my current Kingston DDR400 512mb x 4 with this kit, how much gain in performance can I expect? Will it be a noticeable difference? Many thx in advance

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800
Asus A8N 32-SLI-deluxe
Kingston DDR400 512mb x 4
WD raptor 74gb x 2
GeForce 7950 gx2

Paul

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You will have a nice boost. You may not notice from regular desktop use, but then again you may. Memory is sometimes hard to see a difference right away, except for benchmarks.

Run everest now, and then when you get the kit.. that's where you will see differences. The biggest difference is going from 2T to 1T timings, then the added speed is a bonus.

There is a significant difference between those two kits though. You'll love the 4400PRO. I also highly recommend the 3500LL PRO 2GB kit. Don't hestitate to pick up whatever one is cheaper. I have had better performance out of the 3500LL PRO kit, believe it or not.

U

Unregistered

TWINX2048 / Opteron 185

I have been running the Corsair TWINX2048 for over a year at a FSB of 275 @ 1:1 timing with these settings 3-3-3-8 1T. My CPU is an Opteron 185 (275X11=3050Mhz) on a DFI LANParty UT SLI-D with eVGA 8800 GTS 640 video card. My system is stable in 3D games and benches very well but I cannot push the ram above 275. I am happy with this level of performance and will wait to see what the Quad core war looks like when AMD finally has as single CPU quad out to comapre to the Intel offerings.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
275 is a great overclock, I'd be happy with it. I've been running the 3500LLPRO kit at 270 for well over a year now, rock stable. Corsair pushed out some amazing DDR1 right before DDR2 hogged the limelight.