Cooling an OC'd E8400@ 4.0GHz

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The good fan controllers accept both fan connectors and molex connectors, and don't require a VRM 4-wire fan. Most really high CFM fans are going to always be molex because the motherboard won't be able to feed them enough amps to run them, I've actually had this happen to me with my 3-pin Delta's. The model# is AFB1212SHE, but I'm not sure about the S44T version. Label says 1.60A ;)

If you want to blow someone away, give this one a try! http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12tfexhisp.html

That's good info to know about your setup, sounds like you can use a silent fan without to much of a performance impact. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you want to blow someone away, give this one a try! http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12tfexhisp.html

That is insane... 30W to power that beast! It might make a good prop for a drinking game though... "Who can hold onto the 220CFM fan the longest"...

That's good info to know about your setup, sounds like you can use a silent fan without to much of a performance impact. :)

Yeah, it was kind of depressing to be honest. I bought two of these incredible fans, expecting to see a nice drop in temps (the ambient temp here sucks), and to see a simple 1°C drop... not too pleasing. I've reverted to a fan that is very, very quiet though, and I have a minor OC going on (3.33GHz) stable, so I'm pleased. Core #0 hovers between 50°C - 55°C, which seems to be a tad high, but it is a 65nm CPU, and I'm lucky it's not worse than that.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not that concerned, to be honest, though. Even when I allowed it to run full-blast the entire evening, it made a difference of 1°C on average. I'm dead serious. So... I think the room is the bottleneck here, not the fan, hah.

Okay, so what was the cooler and ambient room temp then, out of curiosity? It is just a passing thought, but have you checked the IHS on that chip to make sure it was 100% flat? My Q6600 is that way, the IHS is slightly concave so the four corners tend to make sure the cooler doesn't make as good contact as it should directly over the dies. It is why Swiftech has been shipping their waterblocks bowed (convex base) from the factory since the Apogee GT series. :)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i only use me PC for gaming, will overclocking make make a BIG or a big difference in gaming for me?!?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
It may make a difference depending on the game but I doubt you'd see a big jump in performance anywhere just by overclocking your system.