Contest winners thread

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I figured id make a thread for us to post w/e about the contest prizes we recieved... Me I got the steganos IA. So far im getting a pretty good kick outta it. I went to google and got google costa rica ;)

Was kinda a trip. Rob's review of it was accurate this far though. Internet browsing is slightly slower, and seems muffled at best.

Lothar

Obliviot
I won the Logitech G7. :cool: Unfortunately it hasn't come yet :eek: but hopefully today. I'll let you know what I think when I've had a chance to play with it. I'm sure it'll be a nice step up from my current mouse.

Lothar

Obliviot
I got my mouse on Friday! :D After a bit of work getting in synced with the receiver again it seems to work great. I've only had it going for about 5 min now, so I can't do a full review of it or anything, but it's really nice so far. I like the feel of it.

werty316

Partition Master
Good to here you got your G7 Lothar. I should get the ram kit this week and will be doing some testing; I'll let eveyone know how it goes.

Lothar

Obliviot
Werty, I look forward to your testing results. I'll be building a new system pretty soon, so I like to hear what people get out of theirs.

I still haven't had time to really sit down with the mouse yet. Felt great for the 10 minutes I had with it, but my wife and I hare spending a bunch of time getting the yard ready again. For sure I'll give it a workout this weekend though. I'm hosting a mini-LAN Party for my friends bachelor party. :D

Lothar

Obliviot
My G7 experiences so far...

Well, I can finally give a little more info about using this mouse, but I still need to do some more testing. I gave it a good workout over the weekend because I held a LAN party. :D It was lots of fun. Ok, on to the mouse...

So far, it's been a mixed bag. When I first recieved the mouse it wasn't synced with the receiver. When I plugged in the receiver it was recognized, but I could not get it to see the mouse. Finally I was able to resync it and it works nicely now.

Using the mouse was nice. It felt great in my hand. It was weighted nicely. I was forced to use a mousepad with it because the surface of my LAN party tables didn't reflect the laser very well (or maybe too much?) so even at a high (2000) dpi, it felt like a very low (400) dpi so I was moving the mouse a lot. Working with a mouse pad, everything worked great. The mouse was flying all over the place.

It was also really nice to be able to change the precision on the fly. Sniping was a pleasure.

Mouse batteries lasted a fairly long time. I didn't do an exact time measurement but I think they lasted atleast 8-9 hours. Replacement was a snap; press the eject button and slide the new one in. No cover to take off first or anything.

The battery charger was another problem I had. I think I just have a bum unit, but my charger won't charge the battery unless I wedge something in with it because it doesn't make a solid contact and thus won't charge the batteries. Once I got it charging things went fast. I used the burst charging because I was sitting on two dead batteries (yes it came with two batteries so you can have one charging while the other is in use, so you never miss more than a second - battery switching time - in those high paced games) and I had enough charge to finish out the night about about 3 minutes. I think it takes about 2 hours to get a full charge when using burst mode, and 8 hours in the slower mode.

I really liked the fact that the battery charger had a USB port on it that you could use it to plug the receiver in. It was nice to only need one USB port, not two.

One problem that I ran into though (and this again may just be my unit...) was that every now and then the receiver would just go funky and would hold the last function for about five seconds before it would start responding to the mouse again. So there were times where I would just run in a straight line shooting my gun and there was nothing I could do about it (I set run and fire to my two main mouse buttons). That was really annoying. It didn't happen very often, but often enough. I have to do a little more testing for this one though because the only time I've really used this mouse was at a LAN party so it may have been an issue of just too much electronics in a small area. Or maybe my cordless phone was causing problems every now and then. Maybe the batteries were dying at the time, but I don't think that was it. It could have been that all my USB ports are 1.1 and not 2.0. I'm just not sure at this point. I'll try to narrow it down over the next couple of days.

Using the software I was able to set my own precision level just for Unreal Tournament. That was kinda cool. So you can set specific levels for specific programs. I like that.

I haven't really used the mouse wheel a lot yet but I noticed that the mouse wheel can be pushed right and left as well as it's normall scrolling. I'm sure that can be used to my advantage somehow.

I think that's everything so far. I'll add more as I find something interesting. I know this wasn't really professionally layed out or anything, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there in as short a time as possible. End result: I really like this mouse and I think it's a great addition to my setup! Thanks again guys!

werty316

Partition Master
I got my ram kit today and will mess around with them tonight and post some results. This couldn't be a better day.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Just thanking again OCZ and TechGage for having an awesome First Anniversary party. With a bunch of help from Rob I was able to get some tests done and the system running smoothly at this speed. A little more oomph got the ram up to PC4000 speeds. 250Mhz @ 3.33v which ran Memtest 300% without errors ;):D. I'm planning on doing some more benches and giving you guys the results. Cheers~

werty316

Partition Master
I finally have the memory installed and did some testing and here are some results. Unfortunately my board has a 1T bug that only allows to OC memory to around 230MHz before bad things happen so I had to run everything at 2T which sucks.

Here is what CPU-Z read as the SPD settings of thie ram:
250MHz @3-4-4-10, 2.65V

Here is what I got using tight timings:
220MHz @2.5-3-3-6, 2.65V

Here is what I got using loose timings:
285MHz @3-4-4-8, 2.65V

My prervious memory, Patriot XBL TCCD can do 270MHz @ 2.5-3-3-5 so this is pretty damn good except for the 2T. I could probably get more MHz at 2.5-3-3-6 and 3-4-4-8 with more voltage.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glad there are so many happy people over here :D

Werty, great results! Is there a reason you don't OC your chip more than that though? Surely the 3000+ is capable of much more than 2.2GHz.

werty316

Partition Master
liqnit said:
Great results werty
Do you feel better gaming that goes along with it?

I really haven't tried any gaming yet; 3dmark scores went down a bit but not by much. I haven't done full gaming tests with different setting but I will this weekend.

Rob Williams said:

Werty, great results! Is there a reason you don't OC your chip more than that though? Surely the 3000+ is capable of much more than 2.2GHz.

I didn't want a bottleneck but I guess I didn't have to use a CPU divider as my 3000+ hits 2.4GHz@1.4V with ease. I got it up to 2.8GHz fully stable but it required 1.7V; I'll never do that again. I was lucky I didn't kill my cpu as I was using a TT POLO735 cooler; I have a TT Big Typhoon now.

Last edited:

discharge

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:

I wish I could say that I was happy.

Looks like <b>neither</b> prize winner for the Vantec Avox ever received their prizes and seems like they never will.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
sbrehm, you should be getting yours real soon. Diskeeper mailed them out last week AFAIK, so it shouldn't be much longer.