(Contest!) Rinse and Repeat

marfig

No ROM battery
... but add more salt.

This is a RockPaperShotgun article title about Skyrim user interface, posted the day before yesterday: User Interfarce: Skyrim’s Silly Choices.

A little more than 24 hours later, Ars Technica publishes an article about the same issue, linking to RockPaperShotgun. The title at Ars is PC Skyrim is a frustrating mess—and will soon be the best version.

Quite the leap, uh? From a great game on Day 0 review, to user interface silly choices on day 3, to a frustrating mess of a game on day 5. Adorable. :mad:

So let's help. Lets follow in the footsteps on these brave reviewers and give Skyrim the next I-Don't-Know-What-You-Did-Last-Summer headline. You can do it!

PS: BTW, the articles are here and here, in case you wanted to take a look at them,.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I about fell over when I saw the Steam player info for Skrim...

Yesterday, there were over 200,000 people playing it at its peak. In the late evening, there were still >100,000 users playing Skyrim keeping it in 1st place.... That player count actually equaled the top 19 following games combined! (TF2, MW3, CS, all of them...)

It'll probably happen again: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

marfig

No ROM battery

And probably for a few more days, considering the nature of the game that does tend to draw players for extended periods of play.

Which also means, the game UI isn't that awful. Not anywhere near what that Ars Technica article title seems to want to imply and certainly not from many of the replies I've seen to both those articles (sometimes we should trust gamers more than we should reviewers). It's when a news outlet starts to fabricate their titles with an eye on page hits that I start to lose respect. Both for the venue, and the editor in question. And that's been happening to Ars for quite some time.

Anyways, I truly regret no being able to play Skyrim when it was launched. It's been on my priority list since last year and I would have never guessed then that I would not be playing it on day 1. Elder Scrolls games have had their issues. For sure. But they are epic in scope and the representatives of a way of doing RPGs that I adore the most.