Consumers Prefer Tablets More than Laptops this Holiday Season

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This will likely come as a surprise to no one, but according to a recent survey performed by PriceGrabber, a vast majority of consumers this holiday season would rather receive a tablet as a gift than a laptop. Details of the survey also reveal that the iPad will still be the tablet to get, while many expect that tablets will replace the traditional e-reader.

apple_ipad2_030211.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
It seems like yesterday when the iPad came out people that complained that it was nothing but a big old iPhone and nobody would want one, because notebooks had keyboards, a full OS, etc., etc.

Now, after 20 years of tablets that were not selling, suddenly all thanks to the iPad, tablets have become a virtual notebook killer, not that I have any plans to buy one instead of a traditional laptop or a desktop. I guess, I'm just and old fart that is too steeped in my ways to change.

marfig

No ROM battery
Ah, a survey. Right, just a second while I put my cred gauge glasses.

>> So what would you prefer to own this holiday season? A new tablet, or a new laptop? Apple, Android, or other?

It's more likely I'll get kisses from my girls and a Boss Bottled from my better half. The technology gifts are, unfortunately, my sole domain. So, it would be that I'd have to gift it to myself.

Anyways none of the options above. And surely not a tablet. I'm more likely to be drawn to an autobiography of Justin Bieber written in Japanese in the local teen slang, than I ever would to a tablet.

So, let me see...

Dear Santa,

I've been a good boy. Just today I wanted to help an old lady cross the street, but I was in a hurry to get a vaccine shot and was nice enough to let someone else do it for me. I'm like that Santa. I do my best so that everyone does their good deeds and I will never stand in their way. The old lady ended up crossing the street alone, as I took one last glimpse from behind my shoulder on the way to the clinic. That's a shame, Santa. People are just not kind anymore. A disgrace. So I'm sure my good intentions counts for something and I rank better than most. My mother always taught me what counts is the intention.

So, here's what I want for Christmas (by order of preference):

- 8GB RAM (dual-channel or single)
- A Topre Realforce 103U (White) Keyboard
- A My Passport Essential SE 1 TB external hard drive.

Thank you Santa.
Signed Me

So, nothing remotely close to a computer, tablet, or an idiotpho... i mean smartphone.

It seems like yesterday when the iPad came out people that complained that it was nothing but a big old iPhone and nobody would want one, because notebooks had keyboards, a full OS, etc., etc.

Now, after 20 years of tablets that were not selling, suddenly all thanks to the iPad, tablets have become a virtual notebook killer, not that I have any plans to buy one instead of a traditional laptop or a desktop. I guess, I'm just and old fart that is too steeped in my ways to change.

Surely I prefer tablet over laptop. It is easy to carry, more fun and stay connected to your friends every time. Tablet is also highly beneficial for business purpose

RainMotorsports

Partition Master

Tablet PC's were just that. The iOS and Android Tablet devices are a completely separate market to me. I would never buy one to do the others job. Tablet form factor PC's in the past have suffered more from their hardware requirements then their operating systems. Tablet convertible laptops always seem to come unhinged when it comes to the hinge. But I had always wanted one.

Personally until either can run every single application I use on my laptop I have little interest. Seeing as how that's not going to happen anytime soon I am in the market for a laptop. I really don't make phone calls but need to carry a phone. I actually have a large interest in the 8 inch Galaxy Note thats been announced. I don't really like the particular offering but its the first in a line that I have been waiting for. If you can carry a tablet then there is no such thing as too big a phone. Thats what BT headsets are for :p