Console RPG

madstork91

The One, The Only...
are they dead? Has there been any good ones out lately? Im not looking for some new battle system with awsome graphics... Im looking for a good one with an oldschool feel, great story, great characters, and Iunno maybe one that makes me want to play it to know what heppens next?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I miss the days.

Faxanadu is one of my favorite console RPG's ever. Same with Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 3. Too many.. to mention.

They are definitely dead I think .. in the sense that developers won't make them anymore. Anytime they make a classic feeling RPG, it fails. People expect too much from graphics and that crap.

:mad:

Last edited:

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, I hate the American gaming industry. I mean there are some great games, but I hate how everyone is all about the graphics in video gaming or great voice acting, cinematics whatever.
One great console rpg series, however, is the Suikoden series (except for Suikoden 4). From 1-3, the game allows you to go out and recruit 108 different characters in which you can use in your 6 man party. The ability to customise your own party from that 108 is endless. What's great about the game(s) is that
the game has the ability to draw you in from the beginning even though the graphics of the first 2 games are those of super nintendo quality (but its a playstation game.) The game also does a great job making you actually care for each 108 characters, something you wouldn't find in any other game.
Suikoden 4 was a huge disappointment because they tried going for the more 'Americanized' approach, better graphics, voice acting, stuff like that. And because of that right there, I've lost all hope in console rpgs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with Suikoden. Although I didn't much care for 3 either. We need more RPG's like that, for sure.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Graphics, in all games, should ALWAYS play second fiddle to game play. To many develpers are making up for their games shortcomings by touting their graphics engines and the like. Look at Call of Duty, olf Quake 3 engine but modified. Didn't have the best of graphics but the gameplay was amazing. Diablo II is the same way. I still play it quitea bit and the graphics are old as hell. I dont think that the RPG scene on consoles is dead but it is sick as hell. Fable was a turd......maybe something will live up to it's hype and be a great console RPG.

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
:|

Game play and story line are always the most important aspects to a game, but lately seem to take a back seat to graphics. It makes me sick how people love FF7, and think it is the most uber game in the world along with the newer FF's. Graphics don't make a game... content and play does. I love the earlier FF games, especially 6, or FF3 released in the US on the SNES. It was by far superior to FF7, but because FF7 was the first 3-d game of the series and released on the PS it gained far more attention than the old better series. Sorry if you a FF7 fan but... it blows chunks compared to FF6. If you don't think so your delusional. Sephiroth sucks, Kefka all the way baby!

But yeah, great games are being replaced with graphics rich games that have nothing going for them other than looking pretty. Seems to be the norm lately, even with online games and MMO's. Its sad really.

I can suggest a few games to play. I just recently bought Growlanser Generations and it is actually rather good. It is for the PS2, but it is considered rare. When I bought it at Gamestop the lady said she was surprised they even had it. If you can find it it is certainly worth checking out. Another is Stella Deus for the PS2.

I can't say there are a lot of RPG style games for the xbox that I know of... not in the old school style anyway. Dynasty Warriors is a good series if your into fighting strategy... trust me they can absorb your mind for a while. ^^

There is a big list of old school games I know if you ever want to hunt them out for a blast from the past.

I liked Suikoden, the first two anyway. ^^

Hope this is helpful ;)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I loved FF7 because

1. it was in 3d... no lie that was awsome.
2. I really connected with the characters... Like really. It was just a story i fell in love with. I literally almost cries when **SPOILER ALERT** aeiris died...
3. It was honestly my first FF
4. First U.S. game with tv ads...

Oh and I LOVED the first suikoden... the second one was alright...

But The original Wild Arms? = fav rpg...

Last edited:

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
Exactly my point madstork, it was a first RPG for many people because it was 3-D on the best system of the time. Advertising, good marketing not to mention visualy appealing... yes they all matter, and that to my eternal disapointment will be why everyone loves FF7 over FF6. *sob* Its a shame.

I guess we are all spoiled now with brilliant gaming eye candy. FF6 remade into a 3-d version? A movie? I would weep... oh the joy... I think I would then die happy. I need to go eat some chocolate...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
not to mention some nicely done 6 min midi scores compared to the standard 1 min loops...

Sound + graphics + Ground breaking rpg gameplay innovations + a decent story line... Id die for something half this novell in todays world.