Conroe *so* close to breaking 5GHz

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As always, I grabbed this from XtremeSystems. PRTeamJapan has almost broke 5GHz on the Conroe.. 4.97GHz to be exact. That helped get a 10.3s 1M Super Pi run.

Maybe 5.1GHz needed to break through 10s?

Attachments

• X6800-4998_10s312.gif
    X6800-4998_10s312.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 838

Archmaille

Obliviot
if you've got the money for it that'd be a pretty sweet setup! I wonder why they're not using faster RAM though... I guess they wanted the lower latency versus pure speed.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since when is DDR2-1040 not fast? :p

In SuperPI, low latencies usually always help for a better score than higher frequencies.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
Holy Crap :O That superpi score is amazing!

AMD is going to get walked over by the conroe that's a cert.. wonder what the K8L will bring? Don't think they will be able to catch up though :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't think K8L will bring much to the table to be honest, unless they manage to get all the cores to work together. That would be amazing. Just at this point in time, they need more than a micron shift, they need some amazing architecture like the Conroes have.

I am not doubting AMD though. They may have something up their sleeve, and I hope they do. They were the kings for a while, so I am sure they are busted their asses off to keep it that way.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
AMD undoubtably will have their work cut out for them but come on....it's AMD. They have always been about 6 months behind Intel on technology. Have some faith in their engineers lads! I am sure they will have an answer to Conroe just as Intel finally had an answer to A64.

I am saving my moneys for a A128 to be perfectly honest.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
It'll be a while before I upgrade anyway, but Intel looks to be going the right direction in their technology. I'm not going to get an Intel, but still, they're doing great with the new chips. AMD will come back with something better and the focus will shift again. It's like both chip makers are making you spend more by coming out with something better and faster just to get sales. Intell for a while, AMD for a while, and back and forth.

AMD, the chip for me.