Congratulations Vancouver...

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
...you've given your city, Canada and hockey in general a black eye for the 2nd straight time (and possibly the 3rd time - I can't find any information about when the Islanders beat the Canucks) that your team has made it to the Stanley Cup finals.

Now I know, it's not everybody. The goons who started all of the violence and chaos last night are the minority but the few spoil it for the many. If I were living in Vancouver, I'd be ashamed. Hell, I'm ashamed to be considered the same species as those idiots who were burning cars, fighting and looting shops.

I'm not sure what's worse; the people who started it all or the people who just watched. There's a YouTube video floating around of two or three guys who stopped people from trashing a store only to have one of them swarmed. What the hell is wrong with people? The people who went home after or tried to stop this mess are the TRUE hockey fans!

If it's worse in 2011 than it was in 1994, what will future Cup runs be like? I'm terrified to be raising a child in this day and age knowing what kind of people are in the world.

Oh, and just where where the five-0? Good job showing up fashionably late. This isn't a cocktail party. The city is on fire, people are being stabbed, property is being destroyed and they mosey on into town like a sheriff from a western movie ready to take down Black Bart.

If 1994 has taught the police nothing, maybe it's time for Jimmy Chu (chief constable of the Vancouver police) to take a permanent vacation.

All I can say is thank goodness that Canada won the gold medal at the last Winter Olympics or all of British Columbia would likely be a smoldering wasteland.

Bravo, goon squad! Mission accomplished! Say cheese for the camera!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/16/bc-riot-thursday.html

https://twitter.com/#!/VancouverPD

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219286898091948

http://www.facebook.com/shareandidentify

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I can understand being upset about losing a game but that's a little much, even with the stereotypical Hockey being violent and all. I don't follow hockey mainly cause the desert prevents that sort of thing here, but I have seen a few games and even a few movies (no I don't count the mighty ducks!) I can honestly say I just don't get the thrill of the Sport. I know you'll probably say the same thing about Baseball, I agree I don't feel a thrill either unless I am at the stadium or it's my favorite team and their rival on the TV that's pretty much all I care about anymore.

It would break my heart though to see the cities population act that way after I was cheering for that team to support them. I hate to say it but Vancouver seems like they didn't get what they wanted so they turn around and acted like a bunch of spoiled brats, not only is it bad sportsman ship it looks bad for the city as well. I personally would no longer be a fan of the Boston Red Sox if Boston acted like that losing to the New York Yankees.

I am sorry to hear you have to put up with that kind of behavior Optix. I just hope me liking a team in Boston doesn't cause us any friction. (c;

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Heh. I was rooting for Boston to be honest. Original six, baby! I'm a Red Wings fan. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Six

I've been watching news footage and personal videos as well as looking at photos all day and it's the same thing in every one - young punks. Whether it's causing the problem, contributing to it or doing nothing to solve it.

I hate the fact that my boy is going to grow up with idiots like that but he will NOT grow up to BE one of them.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Nice. My mom is from Rhode Island but I had lived in Cali my entire child hood but I have the accent! Which is why I like Boston Red Sox so much, they beet it outta me in public school but as soon as I hear it again it comes back. I have to warn ppl to or they get pissed they think I'm trying to make fun of them.

I have heard of the Original Six before, just never knew the background of it interesting.

I know what you mean about the punk problem. I won't let my girls be the prissy stuck up snobs who get what ever they want, I still love em treat em right. They just have to earn what they want not just have it handed to them, life wont do for them they have to do for themselves. It sounds like your in the same boat.

I know it's kind of bad for me to admit this but I had heard about the Original Six on The Red Green Show.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I love it how these goons love to make sport their excuse for acting like idiots. Those pictures in that first article are enough to see just what kind of mentality some of these people have... they're animals. Truly ridiculous.

I'm happy the Bruins won, and am even more glad that I managed to catch one of their games earlier this season (vs. Kings).

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I tried to start shit after the Colts lost the Super Bowl a couple of years ago but I was far to drunk to drive downtown. So instead, I just somberly played drinking games for the rest of the God forsaken night.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I was wondering just how many of these idiots would be identified by their family. Hahaha! You're real big men now, aren't you?

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I was wondering just how many of these idiots would be identified by their family. Hahaha! You're real big men now, aren't you?

I don't live in Canada, no worries here! (c:

Though if my distant family from Canada does comes looking for me (who may have been involved) I do live in the Mojave lots of places to hide a body, like FONV has taught many. If you don't hear from me in a week send a Hawaiian Pizza Extra Cheese or just wait longer, either way something is bound to happen!

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, pretty horrible really. Plenty of images and video was splashed all over the US news about it, I particularly remember 2-3 police cars that were parked together being trashed en mass without any police visible whatsoever.

It's too bad the police can't use the tons of video footage to arrest most of the worst offenders, there certainly are plenty of closeups. Or in the very least identify the people so they can trash their own property in a bit of quid pro quo. See how much they like it then. :D