scarrylarry

Obliviot
Hello Everyone,
I have an older computer that sits in the kitchen it has an amd athlon

processor 256mb ram geforce 2 GFX card and runs Windows 98 SE. OK the

computer had A 1.5GB C Drive and a slave drive that's not much bigger and is

split into two partitions. The problem I am currently having is the computer is

shutting down and rebooting itself from time to time and when it does shut

down It won't come back up right away I have to let it sit for a few minutes.

Also there have been a few times where the computer screen goes black the

computer is still running but I can't do anything because the screen is not

there. I have to shut it down wait then restart it. Now Recently I changed out

the 1.5GB C drive and replaced it with a 40 Gig I cloned the C drive with

norton ghost. so the hard drive is GOOD because I had the same problem

before I exchanged them. I left the slave drive untouched. Would that cause

a problem if the slave were bad and not the OS drive. Also I switch out the

monitor with the one from my newer computer so I know the problem is NOT

the monitor. When the screen goes black after a few seconds it sounds like

something is shutting down but the computer is still running and all the fans

are spinning also I see a green light appear on the slave hard drive not sure

what that means the light is not there when the computer comes up but when

it goes black it comes on. I also changed out the surge protector with a new

one because I heard the can cause problems too And the problem still exists. I

took it to a computer place about two weeks ago and they said it never

shutdown on them and that it's not overheating it may be about 8 degrees

warmer than you want it but it was fine. So I am really confused with this

one. Also I tried different wall outlets with no luck.Could it be the GFX card

or perhaps the PSU and if so how can I find out BEFORE replacing them.

If anyone has any suggestions to try I love to hear them Thanks! Sorry

for being so long winded.
,Scarrylarry

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, it definitely could be a PSU problem. If you have two memory modules in there, you could try taking one out and see if you still have the problem.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Possibly disconnect that second harddrive and see if that makes any difference although I'm leaning to mobo troubles.

maddmaxx

E.M.I.
Well how old is this box? Since it has 98' on it I'm assuming that it's past it's prime. I agree with some of the above comments that it is most likely the PSU. Although I have seen similar shiz attributed to Vid cards and dying mobos. PSU's can be tested but if it is not happening all of the time you could get a false reading on a tester, i.e. could test good one time and 2 minutes later test bad. Process of elimination. You can get cheap PSU's for next to nothing. Ah the wonderful world of computers.:p

scarrylarry

Obliviot
The computer was orignally bought in 98 and I had an upgrade done around 2000 it only has one memory module If it is the PSU I'm sure I can find one cheap, but are motherboards cheap and would it be cost effective to get a new one if that's the case. BTW I have disconnect the second harddrive and the problem still occured. Thanks for all the help thus far. I guess i'm going to have to decide if I want Invest any more money on the CPU.

madmat

Soup Nazi
A motherboard can be picked up on eBay for cheap, What socket style is it? Slot A? Socket A?

scarrylarry

Obliviot
madmat said:
A motherboard can be picked up on eBay for cheap, What socket style is it? Slot A? Socket A?

I know alot about computers but that is one thing I do not know. How can you tell what socket style you have on you Motherboard and what does it do?

madmat

Soup Nazi
A Slot-A motherboard has a long slot (just like it sounds, cool huh?) with a processor that's maybe 5" long by 1/2" thick (plus heatsink and fan) by 2" tall plugged into it. It's a socket style that was phased out 5 years ago.

The Socket A is a flat socket that has 462 pins and uses a conventional styled processor which is a flat 2" square wafer with the pins on one side and the actual core on the other. The pins go in the processor socket and are held in with a sliding top layer on the socket which is driven with a cam arm. There will be a heatsink & fan unit attached to the socket setting at a right angle to the motherboard.

Now, as I said earlier, what type of board is it?

Last edited:

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I'd like to chime in just so larry knows for sure what processor he's got. There were a lot of brand computers still using the slot style processor in the late 90's.
keixb4.jpg
Slot Style.

keizau.jpg
Socket Style.

It does sound like the motherboard in my opinion. With the prices of older components these days, you may be able to find a cpu/motherboard combo for just as much as a motherboard.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
I would kind of lean twords motherboard too.

But honestly, it wouldent hurt to try a new PSU in there as well. The problems you described could be caused by one or the other. Take your pick on what you want to try first. And expect on replacing both.

In all honesty, if you can afford to drop $500 or so. Its worth it to upgrade to some newer hardware in your box.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Buck-O said:
In all honesty, if you can afford to drop $500 or so. Its worth it to upgrade to some newer hardware in your box.

Sadly, I agree. That computer is very old school, even if you just use it for simple tasks.

scarrylarry

Obliviot
Thanks for the extra insight and the picutres it is a socket style and I guess I'll have to scrape some money together in the next couple months and decide if I want to fix it or not. thanks again.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Ya..if you can save 600 ~ 700 bucks, you could get a very decent PC system from online vendors. Even 400 would get you a nice AMD Sempron system! Tigerdirect.com periodically has special deals for PC systems priced cheaply, although I would recommend replacing a few components (like PSU) just to be safe from cheap PSUs killing your system later on in its life.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Some friends of mine are in need of a decent computer, but they aren't as tech savvy as most of us here. If you care to take a look Compaq is offering a Amd 64 system for less than $420. That's right, I said less than $420. After rebates it's $360. <a href ="http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=SR1730Z_series&catLevel=2&category=desktops/compaq_presario&storeName=computer_store">SR1730Z</a>
Configured with:
Windows XP SP2
Athlon 64 3800
1gig Pc3200
DVD R/RW
200G SATA
GeForce 6200 256Mb
Puts the pc right at $700 after $50 rebate. Including shipping (free).
Now you may not need all of that, but it's a pretty good system, these days, with a decent price.

scarrylarry

Obliviot
Just to update I bought a new PSU and so far the computer is still on but I still have to wait it out because when it shutdown sometimes it took seconds. sometimes it took hours so I'm crossing my fingers hoping this will fix it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Good deal, I hope that fixes it but if not at least you've gotten it out of the list as a possibility.