Comp crash mystery solved! kinda...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
So Ive had my current build for ~ a year and a half now and since ~ 3 weeks after I bought it while running some graphically intense programs my computer would suddenly crash and restart itself. No... not bug out, not lock up, but literally crash.

I looked into somethings about it but found no real answer. All the components worked great! And my rig's performance is "choice". The crashes do not occur that frequently, but when they do it is a big hassle, and it never crashes just once when it does it. It likes to crash until I let it breathe.

The fact that it needed it's "breathing" time of course led me to believe that it was a heating issue. About a month after I came to the conclusion that it was a heating issue I began to get a whine from my chipset fan. It was quite annoying and the heat on the chipset was a found to be a lil high. I declared that the culprit of my woes and replaced it. A month later I had a crash.

Yeah a month. As you may guess, when I say it doesn't happen often I mean it doesn't happen often.

Finally after all of this I identified it after getting a temp read and looking into something.

My power supply has never made much of a ruckus. In fact... none. I did some feeling around and it doesn't vent air out the back, it seems to suck it in. (my first rig to build... I think that is normal) And it also seems to do so -very- slowly. It could possibly be the slowest fan on my entire tower. Um... is that normal? I checked the temp on the thing after pushing it to make another crash, it was only 39c after i got windows loaded back up. Is that high?

It is by far the hottest thing on my comp.

So... What is a quick cooling solution to this? Buying a new supply is out of the ? at the moment.

I plan on testing the pwr supply being the culprit a lil more... But it seems to be the only thing left atm that could cause this. I am running two 7800gt in SLi for the vid set up. Im sure setting it to just one card might help...

moon111

Coastermaker
I'm curious, looking up on Antec's site, someone ask:
What does the 2wire/3 pin connector do? Where do I connect this to my motherboard?

Antec's reply is:
That wire is the fan sensor. It will report the speed of the power supply fan. You connect this to one of the fan connectors on your motherboard
Just curious what speeds it's reporting? Are you running case fans using the 'Fan Only' connector? Something I haven't dealt with.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I am running the fans on both the 3 pin connectors or the fan only plugs from the PSU

There are 5 fans on the case, and there is one fan on the chipset.

I currently have all of the fans set to max rpm. The CPU is 28c with an RPM of 3375. The pwr is 34c with rpm of 2637. The chipset is 36c with 46-4800 rpm.

Edit.

The three pin connector you mentioned was not plugged in. I plugged it in and now the temp readings for my comp are all changed.

Cpu 34 psu 41 and chipset 40

Edit2:

I managed to get everyone arranged to where they want to be at finally and I have accurate fan speed readings. (First rig.... give me a break)

Anyhow:

Cpu: 27-29c 33-3400rpm
PSU: 34-35c 990-1000rpm
Chipset: 36-37c 4800rpm

Why did my chipset just spike? It was 40-42 for the longest time before it went down to what it is now.

Last edited:

UnderRAPS

Obliviot
Heh, nice try on your first build! Heheh, at least nothing blew up, caught fire, killed the kitty, .... rofl!!:D

madstork91

The One, The Only...
http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/lputnf4 847505102.pdf

Page 61

(this is my mobo btw)

There are two slots for power to be supplied to the board... an FDD and an HDD slot.

It is suggested that you supply both of these with power if you're running two graphics cards (I am)

Now connecting the HDD is no problem, there are plenty of those from that PSU. The difficult part comes in that fact that the FDD plug from my PSU has a lil > on the edge of the cord and barely any U to cup itself around the plug.

I have it plugged in right now and the fan speeds on my graphics cards has increased a bit. I am guessing that as the manual suggest "board stability" has improved. No idea if this fixes my problem 0.o... But I may have just helped myself out in the long run.

If you read the manual and have any comments/quesstions/suggestions on what I did, please help.

I also gave the insides of my graphics a good dusting.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
No good... Still having the problem.

Most recently after I installed the newest version of bitComet everytime I run it the computer crashes.

Another program this occurs with is WC3.

So... Anyone out there have any ideas? I'm out of em.

Realistically since this happens while im doing something on the net it might have something to do with the drivers for the ether ports. Any other thoughts?

moon111

Coastermaker
You might want to calculate how much power you need out of a PSU. There's other PSU calculators out there, this just happened to be the first one I found.:

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/powercalc.php

Also, those PCI-Express cards might be more hungry then others? The amount of case fans, lights, drives, RAM, etc... it all adds up. A 550 watt might not be enough?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
528w...

And thats if I count two AMD proc, 7 fans, dvd, 1 HDD, 2 PCI-e, 4 gig ram, one PCI

You get the idea... Assuming everything was being taxed out, I should still have enough.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There is no way your machine requires 528W... another reason why power supply calculators are a pure waste of time. I'd say your machine would not push anymore than 400W tops.

madmat

Soup Nazi
A C2D machine with SLI 8800GTS cards pulls under 400W from the wall so assuming 80% efficience that's 320W DC. That PC of yours' Stork" shouldn't pull much more (if as much) under typical full load (I.E.; gaming or number crunching) so the 550W should be sufficient.

If it continues RMA it to Antec and they'll replace it with a shiny (OK gun metal finished) NEO HE 550W.

moon111

Coastermaker
...I am running two 7800gt in SLi for the vid set up. Im sure setting it to just one card might help...

One thing I've learnt from trying to diagnose problems, is to eliminate possiblities. Have you tried running just the single card yet? Also, how are those fans laid out? I had setup a Thermaltake X-Blower fan
BlowerView.jpg
for exhaust and it was actually causing the temps to go up. I rotated it 90 degrees and the temps went down. Could your fans be working against one another?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Actually we had a thread about that in the past when my fan on the chipset went out.

They are all running in the right directions and at max capacity now :)

I have not tried to run on a single card yet... Might be worth a shot after I get some sleep. I do know that I have no other video errors though :-/ So you'd think there would be more than a simple, occasional, random, crash.