Comcast Offers 105Mbit/s Internet Package; Spoils it with Data Cap

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Comcast last week rolled-out a high-end Internet package that delivers up to 105Mbit/s of download speed, which for those not up to par with their megabits, is a huge number. That comes out to about 13.125MB/s, and means that a full 700MB CD ISO could be downloaded from a server (theoretically) in just about 53 seconds, or a typical streaming HD movie (2GB) in 2m 40s.

comcast_large_company_logo_120110.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
pshh. I have 1.5 mbit/s from them. I'd have to constantly download the entire month to hit that cap considering I download at 174kb/s.

Glider

Coastermaker
Totally useless... If your home equipment can saturate the link, the server on the other side most likely cannot... Not to even mention the limited bandwith across the ocean links...

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Have to agree, super high speed connections are useless for the home user. Unless you are trying to stream 20 different videos from 20 different servers simultaneously, then you are not going to see a difference in speed. This of course implies that you will make full use of this 105Mb connection... which in all likelihood, will not be the case, you'll be lucky to see even half that. Just marketing.... as should be made clear with the same data-cap. ISPs the world over have been pulling this trick for years.

Unlimited*

*60GB Fair Usage Policy Applies

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Totally useless... If your home equipment can saturate the link, the server on the other side most likely cannot... Not to even mention the limited bandwith across the ocean links...

It's useless except to those who download and seed torrents ;-)

For what it's worth, I've achieved 11MB/s speeds downloading from MIcrosoft's servers in the past, so it is possible, but like you said, it's going to be hard to saturate the link most often. It'd sure be nice to see those bursts, but it's quite a price to pay for it, given the cap remains the same.