Comcast Internet.

leecho7

Partition Master
I have Comcast Internet. Recently, the internet would act up and I won't be able to surf the web or what ever, but the weirdest thing is, I can still play online games. I was thinking it was my web browser, but my room mates comp does the same thing. It just happened recently, and it comes and goes.
I'm able to still download patches and play online games, but when I start FireFox to check my email, I can't connect to anything. This is the first time we're experiencing this in almost a year. Any ideas as to why this happens?

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I disagree Rob... there is something that can be done...

DNS servers that Comcast has in place are failing to act reliably.
I changed my IP properties to include some other publicaly accessable DNS servers, and that *immediately* fixed my problem. I was down, no sites responding... called a buddy and got some of his servers, added them in, and *presto*... my email was flowing again, my browsing was working again... which makes sense since the mail server are all referenced by name and not IP, and the same with URL's.

Comcast has dropped the ball on this one... letting these DNS problems drag out as long as they have. It is a shame that I pay them as much as I do each month, only to find out that they dont have good redundancy protocols built in for failures of one of the most critical parts of an ISP... the DNS servers.

FYI, here are the servers I used...

try some of these in your IP info the next time the Comcast service goes down.

Good luck!

leecho7

Partition Master
Thanks for the replies guys, I was starting to worry for a bit. Nosebiter said the same thing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Shortly after I posted here, I found out that a friend took care of the problem the same way. I completely forgot to post about it here :/

Thanks Tech-Daddy, youda man.