Coloring coolant

Krazy K

Partition Master
Any good ways to color coolant for looks? I would rather not spend any money on 16oz bottles of coolant but do it myself.
Would a food coloring work without staining the vinyl tubing? It will make a big mess if it even spills so how about some other ideas, black would be best.

madmat

Soup Nazi
No, food coloring will separate out and clog your blocks/rad(s). You can buy purpose made water dye for water cooling but I dunno where off the top of my head.

Krazy K

Partition Master
I would assume that you do, no one knows of a home-made formula that will do the same thing, that's the idea here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, if you don't mind the limited color selection you can always visit your local hardware store that carries pond chemicals... I found an 8oz sized bottle of pond coloring for under $5, rated safe for fish, pumps, etc etc.

Just to give you an idea of the concentration of this stuff, just a 5ml capful will color 40 gallons of water blue. I used two eyedrops of the stuff, but that was a little darker than I'd wanted. ;)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I usually use the blood of my neighbors and by "blood of my neighbors", I mean Feser products. I like their dyes and you can also get bottles of liquid too.

Krazy K

Partition Master
I usually use the blood of my neighbors and by "blood of my neighbors", I mean Feser products. I like their dyes and you can also get bottles of liquid too.

I looked up 'blood of my neighbors' and the FBI came knocking. You have a link for Feser? I' going to do the stealth look of all flat black and then go UV something. Primo had a black I just wonder if the black / UV blue is any good.