CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Gaming Keyboard Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
CM's QuickFire Rapid gaming keyboard is unlike any other. It's not flashy, it doesn't have a bunch of bright LEDs, it has no macro support and... it has no numpad. So what is it that sets it apart? Its sturdy design and use of CHERRY MX blue mechanical key switches. Let's see if those features make up for what's lacking.

Read through Ryan's in-depth look at Cooler Master's QuickFire Rapid gaming keyboard and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I love this keyboard's design, but the lack of macros and a numpad make it a non-option. I don't use macros much, but I still need them for certain things. And a numpad... I use that thing religiously, in and out of games (numpad tends to be more important for MMOs).

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
No numpad is a deal breaker for me too. After using the SHIFT for a while, you really notice the lack of a numpad... Still, nothing stopping us from getting a dedicated USB numpad.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I liked the review but didn't give the numpad a thought ... that's a deal killer me also. A lot of graphic software use keys on the numpad for predefined views. I might be able to adopt but not worth a $80 gamble.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I liked the review but didn't give the numpad a thought ... that's a deal killer me also. A lot of graphic software use keys on the numpad for predefined views. I might be able to adopt but not worth a $80 gamble.

Ryan mentioned that CM does have another keyboard in the works like this one that does have a numpad... so hopefully that ends up getting released. I hope if it does, macro support in some way or another is added. They could easily make some keys on the KB be macro keys with the help of the FN key.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This keyboard was expected back in November if memory serves me so who knows when or even if the Trigger will be released but if it does, it could be a winner. Here's hoping for ONLY red switches on that model. No clicks and a hair rigger.

eunoia

Partition Master
Thanks, good job on a tough type of review. I'd like to read more about the types of switches, since the durability of a mechanical keyboard is a strong selling point. I could see it being important to know a bit about switches before buying.

Are there mechanical keyboard switches that are short throw and as quiet as domes? I guess this would be the type I'd be most interested in.

Speaking of longevity, that's part of what makes reviewing keyboards so difficult: there's such a variance in durability, esp. for hardcore gaming. Once you find a keyboard you like, how long it will last is high up on the list. By the time the concensus is "that's a great product," it's usually off the market. This makes knowing about switches even more important.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are there mechanical keyboard switches that are short throw and as quiet as domes? I guess this would be the type I'd be most interested in.

I'd love to know this as well. I like the idea of a mechanical keyboard, but I don't think I could put up with the noise.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Red switches are the closest you'll get. The still have the same amount of travel but almost no resistance and dead quiet although because of the lack of resistance you tend to get a clack when the key travels to the maximum depth. Kind of like hitting a stopper.

U

Unregistered

Ten Keyless is just what I've been waiting for

The next closest Ten Keyless was $110, but i could have gotten the brown switches I had my eye on, however, I have never had a mechanical keyboard before, so I think I will love blue. I just ordered it today, will be here tuesday.

My real question is on the mouse. I have only used a DeathAdder since switching from my original Dell Laser mouse 5 years ago. they tend to wear out quickly. but they are incredibly comfortable and accurate. I play mostly COD games, and can go 50-0 or better, and is rare I am not called a hacker in game (I dont hack).

But I am considering either the Corsair M60, the new Storm Spawn mouse ($20 right now is a good deal), or maybe the other CM mouse you mentioned you had in the review. I am a very weird grip, I rest my palm on the corner of my desk, and use kind of a long finger/palm grip. I do have somehwat long fingers so this has been very comfortable on the deathadder.

P.S.
I also have the Sirus Headset, my first Headset costing more than $20, and man did it make a HUGE difference in what I could hear, and how good things sounded.

This is my rig: http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i451/itskevinheath/r3.png

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The problem with a new mouse always comes back to the 'break-in' period, actually getting used to a new grip. Unless you buy an identical mouse, there will always be a transitional period - even if you buy something 'similar'. That period is about 2 weeks of regular use. Your hand will be sore for the first couple days typically. If you still have problems after 2 weeks, then yes, it may be worth switching to something else.

My first gaming mouse was actually the trend-setter, the Razer Boomslang; ambidextrous, massive buttons, flat and long, took me a while to get used to it, switching from the array of arched mice that is most common today. The second one I used for a good while was the Razer Lachesis, which is similar to the DeathAdder.

At the moment, i'm using that R.A.T.7 and that can certainly conform to a flat and long mouse but with the benefit of the 'pinky' rest - for your little finger. After using the rest as a hook, it works well for high DPI settings, since when you go to clench your hand, your little finger is one of the first fingers to move, so quick back movements become easier to perform. Just wish the software was a little better.

As for the Corsair M60, we'll be getting one of those in to review soon, along with the other peripherals in the Vengeance set (M/K60, M/K90), so I can look into any areas you have concerns over. The CM mice, you'll have to ask Rob about.

With regard to mechanical differences, I'm no expert, but I can give you a rundown of what the basic differences are. There are 4 in total in the Cherry range, going from Blue, Brown, Black and Red. Blue and Brown are the traditional non-linear 'typist' switches which have the mid-way 'bump' for feedback. Brown is the lighter switch of the two, requiring less pressure to activate. Blue also has the very audible 'click'. Black and Red are the linear switches with no 'Bump'. Red has the lightest activation pressure with reduced noise (and most expensive), Black is a stiffer key type with reduced noise. So for gaming, the 'best' switch is Red, due to low noise, no feedback, linear and minimal activation, it's just very hard to get a full keyset with them.

The only other keyset worth mentioning is the Topre keys, which are rubber-dome capacitive switches which are the quietest of the lot, but with feedback for typists.

U

Unregistered

Cherry MX Browns are on the way!

According to a CM rep, there is a Cherry MX Brown Due out by the end of This month, or the first week of next month. GREAT. I'm shipping back my Blue version and getting the brown.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, I also heard about the Cherry MX Brown they announced... now if only I could find a store that stocked at least 2-3 of these Cherry MX keyboard types! I've had it with my current keyboard and plan to get something better...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With regard to mechanical differences, I'm no expert, but I can give you a rundown of what the basic differences are. There are 4 in total in the Cherry range, going from Blue, Brown, Black and Red. Blue and Brown are the traditional non-linear 'typist' switches which have the mid-way 'bump' for feedback. Brown is the lighter switch of the two, requiring less pressure to activate. Blue also has the very audible 'click'. Black and Red are the linear switches with no 'Bump'. Red has the lightest activation pressure with reduced noise (and most expensive), Black is a stiffer key type with reduced noise. So for gaming, the 'best' switch is Red, due to low noise, no feedback, linear and minimal activation, it's just very hard to get a full keyset with them.

As if worrying about the features on CPUs and GPUs wasn't enough, now we're paying attention to colored switches in keyboards *smacks head*.

That said, based on what you said there, it sounds like brown is right up my alley.