Clementine Music Player Reaches 1.0; Adds DI.fm & Spotify Support

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Clementine is the best audio player on the planet (according to me), but since I don't think I've ever talked about it on the site before, I can't think of a better time to do so than right now as version 1.0 just got released. Based on Amarok 1.4, Clementine was born after Amarok 2.0 came out and turned many people away. It retains everything that made Amarok 1.4 so great, but still gets updated to support the latest technologies and other cool features.

clementine_010411_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Think I will check this out. I started using media monkey awhile back after my music sources started coming as WMA and iTunes couldnt do that for me. The biggest problem at the time was finding an application that could handle unprotected music from my itunes library.

But a quick look at their main page makes this look like a new alternative. Main feature that I dont have and need from Media Monkey which is in their pay version is being able to automatically transcode incompatible formats when loading a device with music.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Think I will check this out. I started using media monkey awhile back after my music sources started coming as WMA and iTunes couldnt do that for me. The biggest problem at the time was finding an application that could handle unprotected music from my itunes library.

But a quick look at their main page makes this look like a new alternative. Main feature that I dont have and need from Media Monkey which is in their pay version is being able to automatically transcode incompatible formats when loading a device with music.

Where on earth are you getting music sources as WMA? WMA tends to be a low bit-rate option which is why I ask.

Clementine can do a lot. I've copied over my FLAC music to my iPod before (it converts it as it does it) and have never had an issue. I use the program religiously for Last.fm and now will be using it for DI.fm also. It's just a great program especially if you like to keep your artists listed a certain way. Don't be afraid to check out your options either because there are a few things to tweak that you might want.

If you take your music collection pretty seriously, you can tell the program to index the folder where it's all stored, and use the Cover Manager option to find all album art. It might not find album art for everything, but it should find it for most things.

I love my GrooveShark account, so I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks!

If you're going to be trying it on a Mac I wouldn't mind knowing what you think of it. I use the player in both Windows and Linux and they work just about the same.