Chrome eating up 10GB for cache purposes!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As it's been a while since I last ran CCleaner, I decided to just now and was a little surprised to find that Google Chrome was hogging 10GB, thanks to its cache.

chrome_10gb.png

I don't have a problem with a browser keeping a big cache, but this is enormous!

Alright, it's more like 9GB, but 10GB is a cooler number.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
In an unrelated note, I found out why Chrome installs itself in the user directory rather than program files like most other applications. It's to stop UAC from alarming you when it does its updates - since the user directory doesn't need administrative privileges to change... Which leaves me a little concerned about security.

But still, 10GB for cache? Firefox uses 500MB... Must be used for more than just simple caching (or caching lots of movies from YouTube).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That does indeed seem like a security risk. I almost can't blame Google for that decision though, given what a pain in the ass Windows can be with permissions. For the main MMO I play, I run a bunch of plugins, and in order to have them work, I have to install everything outside of the Program Files folder (not much of a problem given I have a drive dedicated for games, but still).

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
er.... the 10gb a good chunk of which is likely UPDATED CHROME INSTALLERS!!! Hence why I no longer run chrome, it keeps the installers and keeps downloading more and more and more.