Chip hits 500Ghz (extreme cold)

liqnit

E.M.I.
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6085568.html?part=rss&tag=6085568&subj=news

IBM and Georgia Tech have coaxed a chip to run at 500GHz, a record for a silicon-based device, by dropping the temperature to minus 451 degrees Fahrenheit. (-267c)

At room temperature, the IBM-Georgia Tech chip operates at 350GHz, or 350 billion cycles per second. That's far faster than standard PC processors today, which range from 3.8GHz to 1.8GHz. But SiGe chips can gain additional performance in colder temperatures.

i will take this one at room temprature also...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't believe it. No CPU-Z shots or a Super Pi run ;)

"which range from 3.8GHz to 1.8GHz"

Ass backwards or...

TylTru

Obliviot
processor speeds too high?

Year: 2074

Kid: "Hey Grandma? Can I get a Playstation 8 for my birthday?"
Grandma: "Sorry, but I don't have enough money. that thing costs at least 1600 International Credit Units! I'd say, stick with your Playstation 6."
Kid: "But Gram, the 6 only has xHDTV 3.0's 16384x8192 resolution graphics, powered by an asynchronous 16-core ATI graphics chip running at 2.8 THz each!"
Grandma: "You know, back when I was playing video games, we were only on playstation 3. It was horrible compared to today's technology. Only 2 cores, i think, @ about 3 GHz each. And, anyway, it only cost $700, compared to today's $1600 contraptions that were smaller than, what was it, the Apple iPDA or iPoq -- anyway, that apple thing that was shipped out to stores on your uncle's birthday."
Kid: "Hmm. I'd better read up on this."
[Kid looks like he's manipulating air, really he logged onto WikiDirectory:>Games>Systems>Year_2008>PS3.page on WWW 3.0 on his computerized contact lenses.]
Kid: "Ugh. This thing's huge compared to the 3mmx8mmx.5mm PS8!" (US started using Metric in 2028)
Grandma: "Yeah. It's slower then the remote control for a PanaSonySamShibaTec TV!" (That's what they called general japanese manufacturing, because it was becoming all the same. Combine Panasonic, Sony, Samsung-Sharp (merger in 2030), Toshiba, and TeraTec (new company in 2054))
Kid: "Well, maybe not that slow, it only runs at 3.6 GHz. But, it's not a brain implant! However, the PS9 coming in 2084 is a complete brain implant system that puts you in the video game's world. Ohh, i can't wait!!"

Yes, I can probably read the future. :D