Chinese Users of Pirated Vista Upset at WGA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Sometimes... I just cannot wrap my head around the pirate's mind. Take for example the ridiculous outrage that people in the Chinese market are engaged in because Microsoft finally implemented their Windows Genuine Advantage program over there. For those unaware, WGA detects whether or not a version of Windows is legal, and if not, it will remove your desktop wallpaper and give you occasional messages reminding you to purchase. It doesn't halter the usage of the OS.

Seems fair, right? After all, if you didn't pay for the program, why should you expect quality service? I'm against copy protection, don't get me wrong, but if you don't pay for whatever you're using and then complain about it, something's a little strange. The reason I hate copy protection is because it effects the legal consumer more than the pirates, but when it comes to protection against the actual pirates, I say bring it.

The odd thing is, even a Chinese official is aganst Microsoft, claiming their product is too expensive for that particular market. What? Last I checked, Chinese versions of Windows were less expensive over there. I could be wrong, but even then... how does that justify things? The same thing happened on these shores, but as far as I know, but US official got their panties in a twist.

windows_vista_sample_desktop.jpg

In a PC World article Dong said, "Microsoft's measure will cause serious functional damage to users' computers and, according to China's criminal law, the company can stand accused of breaching and hacking into computer systems of Chinese." Dong also said Microsoft was targeting the wrong group stating, "I respect the right of Microsoft to protect its intellectual property, but it is taking on the wrong target with wrong measures." He also added, "They should target producers and sellers of fake software, not users."

Source: DailyTech

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hm, so removing people's wallpapers is considered serious functional damage... I guess that just says it all right there. How about the Chinese just rip off the OS and make their own, they already do it for CPUs and everything else. ;)

Drew

E.M.I.
If removing your desktop pictures is serious functional damage does that mean the monitor has to be replaced when it gets dusty and dirty? If so I am moving to sell computer monitors in China ;)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, I know I'm being really negative tonight but hell... this is China. Just TODAY the Chinese government stopped spouting false statements and actually began seriously stomping out more melamine adulteration schemes for their dairy system, despite having been warned about it for 2 or 3 years by people in the know.

The Wall Street Journal stated it was something like 2.4 or 2.6% of cattle feedstock was contaminated with melamine, and forget the weakend egg shells.... Large numbers of living poultry were found to be exceeding the safe levels of melamine, so they are now being slaughtered because nobody legally can (or wants) to eat them, let alone the eggs. I'd just love to quote all the official Chinese officials that stated the issue was being looked into more than a year ago, or that there wasn't any contamination... And this is not even mentioning the OTHER chemicals and "potions" added to milk that the WSJ mentioned. Some farmers are/were even dumping hydrogen peroxide into the milk.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For far too many reasons to list, I'd never want to live in China, or even visit there. You gave a damn good reason right there, as far as I'm concerned. North America isn't perfect either, but I wouldn't be scared to go out and pick up a gallon of milk here.