Checking out Gigabyte's HQ

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since I had a couple of days to kill after Computex ended, I decided to take a trip to Gigabyte's HQ in Taiwan which happens to be about a 25 - 30 minute drive from the center of Taipei. It's not here where product is built and shipped (there are multiple factories, with one being located in Tainan, southern Taiwan), but rather this is where all of the business gets done, including marketing, sales, research and development, testing, engineering, et cetera.

The building on the outside, which I unfortunately forgot to take a picture of, looks rather standard. But once you step inside, the building looks much cooler, with numerous products and awards laced all around the lobby. At the desk are a couple of the nicest receptionists I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. To get further, I had to forfeit over my ID, which is for some security purpose, but I got it back after I left.

DSC_6479.JPG

DSC_6481.JPG

Gigabyte was kind enough to show me throughout the entire building, but sadly, there were some areas where I wasn't allowed to snap a photo. One such area was where products are tested under extreme conditions, either a very hot or very cold environment, and also where workers stress-test the heck out of Gigabyte's motherboards and graphics cards.

DSC_6482.JPG

DSC_6484.JPG

On the bottom floor is where the lunchroom is, and basically, workers have the option to come here to get a bite to eat or to just relax. There's a room split off of here that changes its purpose over time, but always focuses on giving workers a place to unwind or exercise.

The fourth floor is where a lot of stuff happens business-wise, from marketing to sales to other logistics. It's also on this floor where overclocker Hi Cookie spends his days doing what he does best. What's humorous is that he began out with one desk, or cubicle, but ended up taking up so much room that he ended up getting bumped up to two, and then three. His work area is hardly what most would consider "neat", but there's definitely a method to his madness.

DSC_6486.JPG

DSC_6489.JPG

DSC_6490.JPG

DSC_6491.JPG

I particularly liked a pile of UD9's I saw lying around. He's currently working on his fifth such board!

After I was shown around, it was time to go get a bite to eat, so Gigabyte's Colin Brix and Rockson Chiang took me to a restaurant called Carnegie's, which is a very popular spot for westerners who are in Taipei. They serve a good selection of beer, and an incredible number of cocktails (there were 366 on the menu), and the food was pretty good also.

DSC_6493.JPG

Kudos to anyone who knows what beer we're drinking in the picture.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Some interesting choices in PSUs there, wonder if he's testing those as much as the boards? Cool tour!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Some interesting choices in PSUs there, wonder if he's testing those as much as the boards? Cool tour!

He said he was using Corsair's supplies because they're better at handling multi-GPU configurations. He planned to benchmark either a tri or quad-SLI setup, and ended up killing one PSU so he was working on getting another. At least, that's how I understood it.

As for the beer, it's Hoegaarden, which is typically served in those huge glasses:

http://www.hoegaarden.com/

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Corsair?? I was commenting because I see both an Antec 1200w and a cheap, flashy PSU (APEVIA?) in the photo. ;)

Probably not an appropriate thread, but I'm going to vent a little. Gigabyte has some great hardware, but whomever decided to ship a motherboard designed for 980X with a BIOS that is incompatible with 980X processors has a few screws loose. I can't understand how I can buy a brand new X58A-UD5, and find out it doesn't POST because I'm using a 980X. This board was designed for and advertised as supporting the 980X all over the box/website, but the board is using a pre-production F1 BIOS that is 7 months old and does not work with this or any future six-core processor. Whomever made the decision to ship these boards cost Gigabyte some reputation, and I'm not referring to me.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What's wrong with Corsair power supplies? I'm no expert on them, so I have no idea. I do know that I've had five since their introduction and have never run into an issue. On the other hand, I've owned a single Antec PSU and it died on me. It's odd, too, since that's the only PSU in the past while I paid for. I guess the saying is true... the best things in life are free. ;-)

As for that UD5 issue, I had no idea it existed. If it boasts support, it should support it, plain and simple. It shouldn't state support but then require a different CPU to flash.

Regarding the quad-SLI benchmarking I mentioned, it looks like Hi Cookie did end up taking the top place in the Performance, High and Extreme benchmark runs with 3DMark Vantage:

http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=2265596&compareResultType=19

http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=2265610&compareResultType=19

http://service.futuremark.com/resultComparison.action?compareResultId=2265611&compareResultType=19

29989_1444760871777_1015771002_1284014_478373_n.jpg

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It's a problem with most/all of their 2nd generation "X58A" boards they launched at the start of this year. Just Google post code "68", which is not even mentioned on the three pages of error codes in the manual. Such as this poor guy that had to pay a PC shop $40 to resolve it: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/new-build-x58a-ud7-code-68-pm-init-wont-post-39232/

Rob, I think you are completely misreading what I said. I didn't say anywhere I had a problem with Corsair. I don't see a single Corsair PSU, looking at your photo all I see is one Antec 1200 and one unknown "gaming" (Apevia?) power supply. I thought it was curious given I would have expected a Corsair or other top-end PSU.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Err, I am not even sure where Corsair is in the picture. Perhaps he didn't have one at all, but for some reason I left there having it in my head. Maybe it's the Antec he's using and I got confused.

Regarding Gigabyte's issues there, is it the only company that had such issues? It seems bizarre that a company would tout Core i7-980X support and not support it right out of the box. If I was a regular consumer and ran into that roadblock, I'd be pissed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
After more thought, I don't think he was dealing with Corsair at all. I'm not sure how I had that in my head, but even while talking to him I thought, "Interesting, he's using Corsair".

I blame jet lag.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Heh, no problem Rob!

Regarding Gigabyte's issues there, is it the only company that had such issues? It seems bizarre that a company would tout Core i7-980X support and not support it right out of the box. If I was a regular consumer and ran into that roadblock, I'd be pissed.

I can't say for sure. Gigabyte has shipped boards with F1 BIOS versions before, but generally even Gigabyte Reps consider these "beta" level BIOS versions, and with good reason. They often lack full functionality and are not performance tuned yet.

I bought this X58A-UD5 because it was a second-generation X58 board newer than the RIIE and the old EX58-UD5. Supposedly the PCIe voltage regulation was redesigned to solve an issue I was running into, and unbelievably it did fix my problem. The CPU power delivery was also redesigned for 980X processors... although I find that claim questionable given the BIOS doesn't work with them now.

But you wouldn't be the only one that would be ticked off, I was extremely annoyed to build the system, leak test, then spend 30 minutes troubleshooting the unknown post code error. All that thermal compound adds up, but at least I DID have a Core i7 920 to fix the problem with. I really don't have any reason to be upset compared to all the poor saps that have to pay more money to someone else to make a $300 motherboard actually work, or pay shipping to RMA their boards.

It has been 7 months since the F1 BIOS came out, and Newegg is still selling Rev 1 UD5 boards with the F1 BIOS as I type this. That is not acceptable whatsoever.

Last edited: