CARD READER

abcwangfoo

Obliviot
I have a new muli-slot card reader.I put SD card,in&it says put disk in.Like,I didnt put it in. Computer,does see the drives for card reader. SD 1GB PNY

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Card readers and Windows XP have a hard time getting along. Try reinstalling the reader. I have gone through 4 different internal units without success. I bought a cheap one that plugs into the USB port when needed and it works.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Card readers and ANY OS have a hard time getting along. I had two Crucial and one Sandisk card reader and had nothing but trouble in both WinXP and Linux.

moon111

Coastermaker
I thought I remember reading the problem seems to be compounded by the size of the SD cards, like some don't seem to like larger capacities? Anyone confirm this?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Could be. I only use 4GB SD cards. I don't have any readers around anymore though. Since they were useless, I just chucked them, so I can't confirm.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I have problems with 32MB cards as well as 1GB cards. Right now, I just have one of those small jobs that you can put a SD card in and plug it into a USB port. Works better than any other reader I ever tormented myself with.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The best card reader I have ever owned, and I should mention that it's the only one, is the one that is built into the side of my Dell monitor. I have worked with many and while some gave me fits, others worked well enough. As a rule, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I agree, I loved mine when I had the 2407. I find that most of the external units that plug into an external port tend to work while 99% of the ones I bought for internal use were crap.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have honestly never installed an internal one. I assume they work off of a USB header?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Yeah, I just don't understand why they never seem to work when the external units with the same chipsets do.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thats definitely strange. I see it best to just declare shenanigans on card readers all together. And while I am at it, I am going to add my Kodak EasyShare docking station to the blackballed list as well.

Last edited:

moon111

Coastermaker
My Brother 7-in-1 has a card reader, which I used just to try it out. But I find plugging in my camera with the SD card inside it allot easier.