Car question!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Ok I'm picking up a used '94 Acura Integra this week. I'm going to be adding a cold air intake system to it. Some people recommend using a bypass valve in case the filter may become submerged in water. Thing is, I'm not sure if I should worry about it or not. I live in Tennessee, and I don't think I'll be driving through 2 1/2 feet of water anytime soon. I rarely hit a puddle. Should I still get one to be on the safe side?

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Is the new intake close to the ground? You mention 2 1/2 feet so I'm guessing that is the height of the intake. If so, then no ... do not bother with the bypass valve (I have never heard of anything like this actually).

FWIW I have a Subaru modified beyond comprehension. The cold air intake for it is in the fender. But this model Subaru already had a factory hole in the fender so this was a pretty straight forward mod. It is also has a turbo so cold air intakes do nothing. I think your Integra is naturally aspirated? So that will be helpful on blistering hot days that you would get in TN.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Actually the guy sold it to someone else without warning, so I picked up a '96 Civic for $1300. Putting in a new clutch and tire tomorrow. This thing was used for racing. It's got coilovers, cold air intake, 18" rims with LP tires, and other mods as well. It's got a bypass switch for the radiator fan...I guess to keep the engine cooler while racing. There's another switch next to it that I have yet to figure out what it does...overall it's a pretty cool car. :)