Canon Pixima MP 510, Windows 7

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Hi there... You know those threads that get created around the time windows releases a new version because drivers are a little tricky?

This is one of those threads.

Product: Canon Pixima MP510

Problem: Microsoft has stated that it has tested this driver out and it works with windows 7. This is correct so long as you use the windows scanner software, and do not use the buttons on the printer, or the MP navigator software...

So basically you have base functionality and nothing more. Congrats on being gimped by a windows update.

Canon has stated that they will be fully compatible with windows 7 for this printer on the date windows 7 is released.

The Trick:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD the "My Printer" application on canon's support page for this product.

Download the following two things from their driver / downloads:

mp510vst64110ej.exe << The Driver
mpnwin303ea22.exe << The MP Navigator

Install the driver FIRST! And then the MP Navigator.

Do not be confused, compelled, or temped to download mypwin200en.exe (the my printer software)

This will cause the MP Navigator to not function correctly, and the buttons on your hardware to stop working.

Enjoy, and happy scanning/copying/faxing/printing/

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glad you got the issue figured out! It's nice that Canon has stated that an official driver is en route though. That seems like pretty good support, right there. It sure wouldn't hurt to see companies like Logitech take after them...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Dont get me started with them...

I have an old web cam that doesnt even have a mic... they state that it isnt supported in Vista because that camera uses a same driver as other old cams that do.

There was once a trick to getting it to work in vista, but that trick stopped working after SP1.

I cant get the camera to work in 7 either.

It doesnt have a mic, and all I wanted to do on it was vid chat with some friends over seas. Logitech's official stance? Buy a new camera.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I hate Canon printers and their ink cartridges that expire before they are empty. I bought a Pixima IP4300 to print some photos and have had to change 2 inks before they were even half empty because of this. I love my trusty old HP1210, thing has been a rock for over 2 years.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hate Canon printers and their ink cartridges that expire before they are empty.

My Brother printed (not sure the model) does the exact same thing. You can even take the freaking cartridge out and see ink sploshing around, but no go. To make it worse, if one color is empty, none of the other colors will work, even if the image doesn't require it (like printing out text, and the blue being empty).

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I hate Canon printers and their ink cartridges that expire before they are empty. I bought a Pixima IP4300 to print some photos and have had to change 2 inks before they were even half empty because of this. I love my trusty old HP1210, thing has been a rock for over 2 years.

So what if the ink expires? I used expired ink in my Epson 880i for several years because the printer was bought before 2000 when I was in high school, and finding ink for it got rather hard when they phased out the cartridge. (Not to mention expired ink was cheap as dirt) Occasionally I'd use an expired ink cartridge that would require I do a cleaning cycle to clear out the printing head, but otherwise they still worked fine. One of the gears finally broke in the thing so I don't have it anymore...

My Brother printed (not sure the model) does the exact same thing. You can even take the freaking cartridge out and see ink sploshing around, but no go. To make it worse, if one color is empty, none of the other colors will work, even if the image doesn't require it (like printing out text, and the blue being empty).

Wow, they still make printers like this with those stupid combination cartridges? Just goes to show poeple need to research before they buy, especially with printers. My Epson actually did this, but it would allow you to print even if one of the three colors was out. You might get some interesting color results though as it blended the three colors for almost everything...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, they still make printers like this with those stupid combination cartridges? Just goes to show poeple need to research before they buy, especially with printers. My Epson actually did this, but it would allow you to print even if one of the three colors was out. You might get some interesting color results though as it blended the three colors for almost everything...

Nah, that's the stupid thing. Each color is separate, but it will just not at all print until a color has enough ink it, even if it doesn't need the color at all.