Canon EOS 30D/20D/10D/D60/D30

tbag47

Obliviot
Hello everyone. My name is Tom. I was looking up information on cameras and came across these forums. It seems very well informative and a great place to be in this digital photography world. But on to my real dilemma..

Well right now I'm in the dilemma of switching to Canon. I realize that a majority, meaning over 75% use Canon, for sports/automotive. I mainly shoot automotive but I will be shooting events/modeling/everyday shots when I take my camera along. I keep reading reviews about both. I recently read in an article comparing D80 vs. 400D. Both were very close in comparison but Nikon has better flesh tones. Would the 30D be up to par with event/modeling shots?

I was doing my review research on this site but to get a real aggregated look I used this nice database

http://www.viewscore.com/vsPP/3/1851

I know that both Canon and Nikon are very good cameras. I'm just trying to get the best equipment. Would you have any say about Canon vs. Nikon? Have you tried using both, (old/new D200, D80, 30D, 5D), and compared them? And what about the lenses? Which manufacturer makes a 'better' quality lens? I realize both are at the top of the game, but I was hoping that you could give me more insight. I would really appreciate it. Because I might be selling my D80 and getting a 30D. The only problem is is that I've gotten so used to using my D80 and gotten fairly comfortable using the camera.

It's not such a big hassle to have two types of memory cards w/ Nikon, but Canon I can use just one and switch back and forth as they are the same format.

I realize that I would be able to keep the D80 and get the D200 if I want to upgrade, but there is also Canon 30D and 5D. Both companies have great benefits and that's why it's making my decision harder. Would you say that there is anything that Canon might have an advantage over Nikon? or vice versa? Also, if I do happen to switch the Canon, would there be any lenses you would recommend? Price is not a factor.

Please give me as much insight as possible

NicePants42

Partition Master
When I need info on digital cameras, I use two sites:

Steve's Digicams has the most comprehensive camera reviews I have seen.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the other site I used, but it was similar to Steve's Digicams in that it's all one guy writing the reviews. There were some more sample pictures and movies though, IIRC.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm a PC person, not a photophile. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are thinking of switching off your D80, I'd go to the local photo shop and give the 400D a spin, since both are essentially quite similar in features and specs. If you have used Canon cameras in the past, it will be comfortable right off the bat. But after using a D80 for a while, it will be a little learning curve. The mode dial for example is on the opposite side of the camera.

The upgrade to a D200 is a non-issue.. there is absolutely no sense. Both cameras use the identical sensor and feature-sets. The D200 has the added feature of a steel body and GPS-support, but that's not likely worth the hassle of selling your D80 and exchanging it.

The 400D is a great Canon offering, but since you already have a D80, there is little reason to switch, unless you happen to prefer the way the Canon feels, or if you want to switch to Canon glass. The best upgrade from your D80 would be Canon's 5D, but since it costs more than twice as much as a D80, it's a steep road to take. I have a friend who owns one though, and he -loves- it, as he should given the price.

The main thing to keep in mind though, is when moving from Nikon to Canon, that means you have to go through the hassle of selling all your Nikon glass and accessories. The D80 is a completely capable camera, so perhaps the lens is the main issue here. What lenses are you currently using? For automotive sports, you will want really fast glass, perhaps f/1.8 unless you need a huge zoom. Same goes for modeling shots really. A 50mm 1.8 lens would be perfect for those, and don't cost much. The only downside is the total lack of a zoom.

tbag47 said:
I realize that I would be able to keep the D80 and get the D200 if I want to upgrade, but there is also Canon 30D and 5D. Both companies have great benefits and that's why it's making my decision harder.

Both companies have awesome cameras. I own a D80 because I prefer the look and style of Nikon's cameras. I also find it more comfortable to use and enjoy the layout better. It just fits like a glove, so it's perfect. That aside, both cameras offer similar lenses that cost virtually identically, except when you are getting into the $1,000+ territory.

I don't use Canon cameras, so I can't possibly wholeheartedly recommend a lens, however one obvious lens to pick up would be the 50mm 1.4, which retails for around $250, since it's very fast. If I were to buy a Canon today and price wasn't a factor, I'd personally pick up the wide-angle 16-35mm 2.8 USM lens... it's probably one of the few lenses you'd ever need, unless you require a zoom. They range between $1,500 and $2,000. Nikon offers a similar lens, but I believe it's 17-35mm, and lacks VR.

I guess in the end though, it would help to know what lenses you currently own for your Nikon.