Canadian ISP Rogers Admits to Throttling World of Warcraft

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Out of the "Well, that's not surprising!" file comes a story of Canadian ISP Rogers and its throttling of the most popular MMO game around, World of Warcraft. One avid WoW fan, Teresa Murphy, had gotten tired of getting booted from her game and having sluggish performance aside, and as a result consulted Rogers about the issue. After being fed a "pack of lies", she then went to the CRTC, the regulator of most things Canadian media.

rogers_logo_082109.gif

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Another reason why I will NEVER go with Rogers. Garbage billing, they raise their rates like I change socks, they throttle your bandwidth -and- there's a cap.

In the next month or two, we will be done with Rogers all together and switching to Aliant for television.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
it's called "create exceptions to ports that WoW uses."

WoW, that took some brains to figure out! :p

I'd tell you that you should go work for Rogers, but if you did, I'd have to kill you :(

Also, if that happened, people could force that same port in their torrent client, essentially ridding the throttling that Rogers put in place.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
They can still throttle based on packet header - encrypted or not (the torrent encryption is simple and public, so it's easy to decrypt on-the-fly), rather than use a straight out port throttle, since that's easy to circumvent. They didn't invest in all that DPI equipment for nothing...

Last edited: