Canadian Copyright Bill Delayed

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Canadian tech-enthusiasts cringed in unison this past week as a fresh DMCA bill was set to be passed this week. If passed, it would mimic the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which could result in stricter laws and harsher penalties. Up until now, Canadians have not had deal with issues to the degree Americans have. Although the Canadian music industry has successfully aided in the shutting down of torrent websites, they haven't yet been able to target end-users, as the RIAA have.

While the bill should have been passed today, it's been delayed thanks to the overwhelming public outcry from people who signed petitions, called or sent letters to Industry Minister Jim Prentice and showed up in person to protest. It goes to show... you can make a difference. How long this delay will last, no one knows. If not decided before the end of the week, it will not occur until the new year.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
omg_canada_flag_102207.png

</td></tr></tbody></table>
At an open house in his Calgary constituency office on Saturday, Prentice defended the bill to an angry crowd of about 50 by saying it would bring Canada up to date with the World Intellectual Property Organization treaty it signed in 1997. Canada signed the treaty but has not yet implemented or ratified it, which has provoked criticism from its trading partners, he said.

Source: CBC.ca

madstork91

The One, The Only...
People would do this in america... in a big way...

The problem? No one will introduce the idea of taking away IP laws... So the ball never gets rolling.

Simple solution? Reduce the number of years IP is protected across the board significantly for any new piece of IP after date XX/YY/ZZ

Id like to see microsoft force the transition past office 2007 then.

To put this in perspective with music though... The "New digital release" of Frank Sinatra substantiates claims by the music industry to continue charging for his music. He has been dead now for almost 8 years. To add to that, his family really doesn't see a lot from those sales either.

So why am I asked to pay $50+ for the complete sinatra collection? He hit his first downward slope and didn't record much by ~1949... the music is nearing 60 years old.

But heaven help the person who dowloads his music. The RIAA would prosecute me just as much for having some of blue eyes as they will for w/e it is the kids are listening to these days... Which by the way sux.

moon111

Coastermaker
You know, I never listen to the radio. Never watch music videos. Never go to bars/dance clubs. My exposure to music comes from downloaded music. I've found myself listening to different types that I never use to before. If I were to buy a cd, it would be a direct result of hearing it first on the internet. Personally I think a CD should cost about $5. When I see $19.99, I would either pirate it, or do without.